This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Herbie Hancock|
|from the album Empyrean Isles|
|Label||Blue Note Records|
"Cantaloupe Island" is a jazz standard composed by Herbie Hancock and recorded for his 1964 album Empyrean Isles during his early years as one of the members of Miles Davis' 1960s quintet. The musicians for the original 1964 recording were: Hancock (piano), Freddie Hubbard (cornet), Ron Carter (bass) and Tony Williams (drums).
Uses in other media
- Bumper music
- Numerous artists have recorded versions of "Cantaloupe Island", including: El Chicano on their first album, Viva Tirado (1970), as well as: Hugh Masekela, Brian Bromberg, Brownman Electryc Trio, Poncho Sanchez, Donald Byrd, Pat Metheny, Claude Nougaro, Jean-Luc Ponty, Tanghetto, Jack DeJohnette, Kai Winding, Yonderboi, Milton Nascimento, Nat Adderley,,Bcn ska-jazz orquestra. and The Manhattan Transfer, whose version (subtitled "Flip Out!") also borrows heavily from the Us3 track Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia).
- The jazz-rap group Us3 sampled "Cantaloupe Island" in their song "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)", from their album Hand on the Torch (1993). "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" was recorded as a demo a year before the group's first release. It did not chart in their native UK, but in the US, "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" reached No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the group's only top 40 single. It was subsequently re-released in UK where it peaked at No. 23. "Cantaloop" was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on March 25, 1994 for selling over 500,000 copies. This version of "Cantaloupe Island" has been made numerous appearances in other media.
In 2000, "Cantaloupe Island" placed at #19 in the Jazz24.org "Jazz 100: One Hundred Quintessential Jazz Songs".
- Ouellette, Dan (2005). Hancock goes beyond Jazz. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 43. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Payne, Douglas. "HUGH MASEKELA DISCOGRAPHY: 1955-1969". www.dougpayne.com. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Hugh Masekela - The Americanization Of Ooga Booga". Discogs. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- Bcn Ska-Jazz Orqestra (2016). "Cantaloupe Island". First Round EP. La Panchita Records.
- Template:Cite web title=NEW ALBUM! THE JUNCTION ~ MARCH 30, 2018
- "Official Charts Company: Us3". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2016-08-30.
- "The Jazz 100". jazz24.org. 2000.
- on YouTube
|This article about a jazz standard or composition written in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|