Canton High School (Massachusetts)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Canton High School|
Canton High School
|900 Washington Street
Canton, (Norfolk County), Massachusetts 02021
|Superintendent||Dr. Jennifer Fischer-Mueller|
|Teaching staff||72.99 (FTE)|
|Athletics conference||Hockomock League|
|Rival||Stoughton High School|
|Average SAT scores||520 verbal
1563 total (2015-2016)
Canton High School is situated in Canton, Mass, about 15 miles southwest of downtown Boston. First discussed in 1866 among prominent members of the town of Canton, the high school was established in 1869, when, for the first time, four classes were educated in the same building at a grammar school in South Canton.
In 1911 the Hemenway School became Canton’s principle high school due to the population increase and a need for a larger building. It became an elementary school in 1950 after high school students transferred to a new building.
The student body makeup is 49 percent male and 51 percent female, and the total minority enrollment is 24 percent.
Canton High School’s athletic teams compete in the Hockomock League.
Every Thanksgiving since 1926, Canton’s football team has squared off against the Stoughton Black Knights, a neighboring and rival town. The all-time standings[when?] between the two teams in 46-40-4 in favor of the Black Knights. Canton High School’s boys hockey team won the Massachusetts state championship in 2010.
Staff and alumni
- Martin J. Badoian, mathematics teacher
- Berger, Mike (5 August 2016). "New supt. wraps up busy 1st month with CHS dean hire | Canton Citizen". Canton Citizen. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Canton High". School Directory Information. National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Canton High School Alumni Register: 1869–1896. Boston: Canton High School Association. 1897. p. iv.
- "Canton High School Overview at USNews". usnews.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Hockomock Sports". hockomocksports.com/. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- 24, November; 2014. "Thanksgiving rivalries: What's your team's record? - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- "Hockey League History - HockomockSports.com". HockomockSports.com. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Pickette, Jeffrey. "Chuck Hogan takes 'Town' by storm | Canton Citizen". Canton Citizen. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Thomas, Linda. "PROFILES: Canton's Bobby Witt looks back at Major League career". Wicked Local. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
|This Massachusetts school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|