Canton South High School
|Canton South High School|
|600 Faircrest Street S.E.
Canton, Ohio 44707
|School type||Public high school|
|School board||Stark County Educational Service Center|
|School district||Canton Local Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and Gray|
|Mascot||Willie the Wildcat|
|Communities served||North Industry, Canton Township, and Pike Township.|
|Athletics||Canton South Wildcats|
|Website||Canton South High School|
Canton South High School is a public high school in Canton Township, Stark County, Ohio, United States. The school, typically enrolling around 800 students in the 9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th grades, is the only high school in the Canton Local School District. It is a member school of the former Stark County Board of Education (now known as the Stark County Educational Service Center). The school's athletic teams are known as the Canton South Wildcats, and are part of the Northeastern Buckeye Conference of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. It is currently under construction, with plans to have a new school in early 2017.
Geography & History
Canton South High School is located at unglaciated region of the Allegheny Plateau. The school is located near North Industry, an unincorporated area once known as Slabtown (for the slabs of wood once used as sidewalks in the past, which were available from local lumber mills).. It sits just within the
- Dirk Hayhurst, Former MLB player (San Diego Padres, Toronto Blue Jays)
- Devon Torrence, Former Ohio State University Cornerback and current NFL free agent
- Dick Cunningham, Former NBA Center (basketball)
- Darryl Wilson, Player for Chicago Cubs
- David Drummond, USTA Tennis Coach and College National Tennis Finalist
- Derrick Logozzo, Professional Musician, Richland College Music Coordinator, USDA National High School Debate Finalist (7th)
- "Stark County Educational Service Center". Archived from the original on 2010-08-28.
- "Northeastern Buckeye Conference Schedule".
- "Canton South High School". www.cantonlocal.org. Archived from the original on 2016-01-01. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- Heald, Edward T. "The Stark County Story. Canton, Ohio: Stark County Historical Society, 1949-1959. v2/p623"
|This Stark County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|