Canton Township, Benton County, Iowa
Location in Benton County
|• Total||35.4 sq mi (91.68 km2)|
|• Land||35.29 sq mi (91.41 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.27 km2) 0.29%|
|Elevation||820 ft (250 m)|
|• Density||24/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||52324, 52332, 52349|
|GNIS feature ID||0467528|
Canton Township was founded in 1846.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Canton Township covers an area of 35.4 square miles (91.68 square kilometers); of this, 35.29 square miles (91.41 square kilometers, 99.71 percent) is land and 0.11 square miles (0.27 square kilometers, 0.29 percent) is water.
The city of Shellsburg is entirely within this township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Benton Township (north)
- Shellsburg Township (northeast)
- Fayette Township, Linn County (east)
- Clinton Township, Linn County (southeast)
- Fremont Township (south)
- Eldorado Township (southwest)
- Eden Township (west)
- Taylor Township (northwest)
The township contains these three cemeteries: Oakwood, Parkers Grove and Shellsburg.
- Pleasant Creek State Park (vast majority)
- Benton Community School District
- Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District
- Iowa's 3rd congressional district
- State House District 39
- State Senate District 20
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder
- The History of Benton County, Iowa, Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &c. Western Historical. 1878. p. 312.