Canton Township, Stark County, Ohio
|Canton Township, Stark County, Ohio|
Offices and garage
Location of Canton Township in Stark County
|• Total||25.3 sq mi (65.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.1 sq mi (65.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Density||552.1/sq mi (213.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086975|
Canton Township is one of the seventeen townships of Stark County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 13,882 people in the township, 13,402 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Plain Township - north
- Nimishillen Township - northeast corner
- Osnaburg Township - east
- Sandy Township - southeast corner
- Pike Township - south
- Bethlehem Township - southwest corner
- Perry Township - west
- Jackson Township - northwest corner
The city of Canton, the county seat of Stark County, occupies much of northern Canton Township. A small area around the northwest corner of the township remains outside of the city of Canton, and part of this area is occupied by part of the village of Meyers Lake. The unincorporated communities of North Industry and Waco are located in the southern and central parts of the township, respectively.
Name and history
It is the only Canton Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officer position or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. As of 2011, the trustees are Chris Nichols, Bill Smith, and William Mittas, and the fiscal officer is Ron Smith.
Students attend Canton Local Schools. The high school for this district is Canton South High School.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stark County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 116. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Official Website for Canton Township, Ohio: Department of Zoning, Canton Township. Accessed 2007-08-01.