Canva is a graphic-design tool website, founded in 2012. It uses a drag-and-drop format and provides access to over a million photographs, graphics, and fonts. It is used by non-designers as well as professionals. The tools can be used for both web and print media design and graphics.
The company was founded on 1 January 2012 in Sydney, Australia by Melanie Perkins. She previously founded Fusion Books, Australia's largest yearbook publisher. In its first year, Canva had more than 750,000 users. Social-media and technology expert Guy Kawasaki joined the company as chief evangelist in April 2014. In 2015, Canva for Work was launched which gave businesses a tool for producing marketing materials.
During the 2016-17 financial year, revenue increased from $AU 6.8m to $AU 23.5m, with losses of $3.3m. In 2017, the company reached profitability and had 294,000 paying customers. As of 2018, the company employs 200 people with offices in both Australia and San Francisco. In January 2018, Perkins announced the company had raise $40 million by Sequoia Capital, Blackbird Ventures, and Felicis Ventures, and it was valued at $1 billion.
- Perez, Sarah. "Canva Launches A Graphic Design Platform Anyone Can Use". Tech Crunch. 26 August 2013.
- Lancet, Yaara; Zukerman, Erez. "Canva review: Free tool brings much-needed simplicity to design process". PC World. 7 January 2014.
- Swallow, Erica. "Canva Makes Great Design More Accessible". Forbes. 18 November 2013.
- Handley, Ann (2014). Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content. John Wiley & Sons. p. 275.
- Hoisington, Corinne (2014). Technology Now: Your Companion to SAM Computer Concepts. Cengage Learning. pp. 11–20.
- Stanton, Griffith, Kate, Hywel (2018). "The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business". BBC News. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Naughton, Julia (15 September 2016). "Canva CEO Melanie Perkins On Creating A Multi-Million Dollar Company". Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Canva: Overview Crunchbase. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Campbell, Rebekah (15 September 2014). "The Problem With Going Into Business With a Friend". The New York Times.
- Pankaj, Mishra. Canva Raises $3 Million To Make Design Accessible To Everyone Tech Crunch. 16 April 2014.
- "Graphic design startup Canva just turned into a unicorn". Fast Company. 2018-01-08. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "New Sequoia China investment values Australian design company Canva at $1 billion – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- Stanton, Kate; Griffith, Hywel (2018-01-09). "The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business". BBC News. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Chau, David (2018-01-09). "Canva: Online design startup joins generally overvalued 'unicorn' club". ABC News. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- "Aussie unicorn Canva is collaborating with Dropbox, and co-founder Cameron Adams says it's "not a big deal" - SmartCompany". SmartCompany. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-06-27.