Canyon Fire 2
|Canyon Fire 2|
|Location||Anaheim, California, U.S.|
|Date(s)||October 9, 2017 – October 17, 2017 |
9:20 A.M.– (PST)
|Burned area||9,217 acres (14.402 sq mi)|
|Cause||Embers from the previous Canyon FIre|
|Land use||Residential; Open space|
The Canyon Fire 2, also known as the Canyon 2 Fire, was a wildfire burning in the Anaheim Hills area of the city of Anaheim in Orange County, California. The fast-moving brush fire broke out on October 9, 2017 around 9:45 A.M. PDT near the 91 Freeway and Gypsum Canyon Road. It leaped over the Route 241 toll road, raced up a ridge, and set fire to several homes. In total, about 16,570 had been ordered to evacuate their homes in Anaheim, Orange, and Tustin but have since returned when the evacuation order was lifted on October 12.
By noon on the day the fire began, it had burned 800 acres (1.3 sq mi). By 2:30, fueled by high winds and low humidity, it had burned 2,000 acres (3.1 sq mi) and was 0 percent contained. As of 6:00 a.m. October 10 it had burned 7,500 acres (11.7 sq mi) and at least 24 structures had been damaged and a dozen homes destroyed.
As of October 15, the fire was reportedly 90 percent contained. A total of 9,217 acres (14.402 sq mi) had been burned, with 25 structures destroyed and another 55 damaged.
Canyon Fire 2 was declared 100% contained on 10/17/2017, at 5:57 A.M. PDT. The acreage burned remained at 9,217. Structures remained at 25 destroyed and 55 damaged.
An earlier fire near the border between Anaheim and Corona in late September had been called the Canyon Fire, leading to the designation of this one as Canyon Fire 2. That first fire burned approximately 2,600 acres (4.1 sq mi) but did not cause any property damage. Apparently, the embers from the first fire and the strong winds most likely caused the fire. 
- "Anaheim Fire & Rescue (@AnaheimFire)". twitter.com. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- Do, Anh; Queally, James (October 9, 2017). "At least four homes burn as fast-moving brush fire hits Anaheim Hills". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- Robinson, Alicia; Haire, Chris (11 October 2017). "Canyon Fire 2 Day 3: Lower temperatures help firefighters make progress on 9,217-acre blaze". Orange County Register. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Canyon Fire 2 in Anaheim Hills up to 800 acres, forcing evacuations and damaging at least 6 homes". Orange County Register. October 9, 2017. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "Anaheim Hills fire explodes to 2K acres, burns homes, prompts evacuations". ABC-7 News. October 9, 2017. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "Canyon Fire 2: Homes Destroyed as Thousands Remain Evacuated in Anaheim, Orange and Tustin". KTLA. October 10, 2017. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Graham, Jordan (2017-10-15). "Canyon Fire 2 now 90 percent contained, full containment expected Tuesday". OC Register. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Schwebke, Scott (2017-11-06). "Canyon Fire 2, which torched 9,200-plus acres and destroyed homes, ignited by embers from previous fire". OC Register. Retrieved 2017-12-01.