Cape Blanco (horse)
Racing silks of Derrick Smith
|Owner||Smith/Magnier/Tabor/Mrs F Hay|
|Earnings||£2,574,670 or $3,855,665|
Tyros Stakes (2009)|
Futurity Stakes (Ireland) (2009)
Dante Stakes (2010)
Irish Derby (2010)
Irish Champion Stakes (2010)
Man o' War Stakes (2011)
Arlington Million (2011)
Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Stakes (2011)
Irish Three-Year-Old Colt of the Year (2010)|
American Champion Male Turf Horse (2011)
|Last updated on February 20, 2012|
Cape Blanco (foaled 20 April 2007 in Ireland) is an Irish Thoroughbred racehorse who won five Group One/Grade I races between 2009 and 2011. He also won twice at Group 2 level and once at Group 3 level between 2009 and 2010. He was the Irish Three-Year-Old Colt of the Year in 2010 and also the American Champion Male Turf Horse for the 2011 season.
Cape Blanco was sired by champion sire Galileo out of the Presidium mare Laurel Delight. As a foal of Laurel Delight he is a half-brother to the Kelso Stakes winner Mr O'Brien. Cape Blanco was trained throughout his racing career by Aidan O'Brien at Ballydoyle Stables near Cashel in County Tipperary for John Magnier and his Coolmore Stud associates.
He is the winner of the 2010 Irish Derby and Irish Champion Stakes  as well as being placed second in the 2010 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes behind Harbinger. In 2011, he won the Grade 1 Man o' War Stakes at Belmont Park, Arlington Million at Arlington Park and Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational Stakes at Belmont Park, New York, USA. In the last-named Grade 1 classic race, he sustained a knee fracture and was retired to stud after the race.
- Armytage, Marcus (21 December 2010). "Cape Blanco burns off Champion Stakes rivals". London: The Telegraph.
- "Cape Blanco denies Gio a Man O'War treble". RTÉ News. 9 July 2011.
- Scargill, Peter (3 October 2011). "Cape Blanco retired to stud following injury". Racing Post.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-04. Retrieved 2011-10-18.