Cape Cod National Seashore
|Cape Cod National Seashore|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
|Location||Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA|
|Nearest city||Barnstable, Massachusetts|
|Area||43,607.14 acres (176.4718 km2)|
|Established||August 7, 1961|
|Visitors||4,426,750 (in 2014)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Website||Cape Cod National Seashore|
The Cape Cod National Seashore (CCNS), created on August 7, 1961 by President John F. Kennedy, encompasses 43,607 acres (68.1 sq mi; 176.5 km2) on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. It includes ponds, woods and beachfront of the Atlantic coastal pine barrens ecoregion. The CCNS includes nearly 40 miles (64 km) of seashore along the Atlantic-facing eastern shore of Cape Cod, in the towns of Provincetown, Truro, Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans and Chatham. It is administered by the National Park Service.
Places of interest
Notable sites encompassed by the CCNS include Marconi Station (site of the first two-way transatlantic radio transmission), the Highlands Center for the Arts (formerly the North Truro Air Force Station), the Dune Shacks of Peaked Hill Bars Historic District (a 1,950-acre historic district containing dune shacks and the dune environment), and the glacial erratic known as Doane Rock.
There are several paved bike trails:
- Nauset Bike Trail - Eastham
- Head of the Meadow Trail - Truro
- Province Lands Trails - Provincetown
- "Listing of acreage as of December 31, 2014". Land Resource Division, National Park Service. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "NPS Annual Recreation Visits Report". National Park Service. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "Bill signing - S. 857 Public Law 87-126, Cape Cod National Seashore Act, 11:47AM". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
- "Cape Cod National Seashore Act - P.L. 87-126" (PDF). 75 Stat. 284 ~ Senate Bill 857. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- "Herring River Tidal Restoration Project". National Park Service. July 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cape Cod National Seashore.|
- Cape Cod National Seashore. National Park Service website.
- Coastal Landforms and Processes at the Cape Cod National Seashore, Massachusetts: A Primer U.S. Geological Survey
- Park map showing roads, beaches, and trails. National Park Service map pdf.
- "The Penniman House: A Whaling Story". A National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan.
- Official Website of Cape Cod Beaches. A community project for all Massachusetts beach information and their geocoordinates.
- Cape Cod National Seashore travel guide from Wikivoyage