Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park
|Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park|
Murray Lagoon seen from the Bald Hill lookout
|Nearest town or city||Kingscote|
|Established||21 January 1971|
|Area||4,213 ha (10,410 acres)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|Website||Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park, formerly the Cape Gantheaume National Park, is a protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located on the south coast of Kangaroo Island. Attractions include Murray Lagoon and D'Estrees Bay. It also includes Pelorus Islet located about 7 kilometres (4.3 miles) southeast of Cape Gantheaume.
As of 1993, the conservation park consists of the three following areas: a parcel of land on the west side of D'Estrees Bay, a parcel of land including both Murray's Lagoon and the land to its immediate south and Pelorus Islet, about 7 kilometres (4.3 miles) east south-east of Cape Gantheaume.
The conservation park was first dedicated as a protected area in 1971 and then again in 1972 following the enactment of the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972. In 1993, a large portion of the conservation park was excised and proclaimed as the Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area.
Camping facilities are available at both Murray Lagoon and D'Estrees Bay. As of 2009, four dedicated walking trails are available at both Murray Lagoon and D'Estrees Bay. These are qualified as being 'easy', 'even surfaced...' and 'suitable for small children'.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Shard, A.J. (21 January 1971). "NATIONAL PARKS ACT, 1966: VARIOUS NATIONAL PARKS DECLARED" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia: 186–187. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 17 Feb 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Property Location Browser V2 Government of South Australia, South Australia. Accessed 2014-02-27.
- "Wilderness Advisory Committee Annual Report 2012-13" (PDF). September 2013: 15. ISSN 1832-9357. Retrieved 17 March 2014. Cite journal requires
- "Management Plan, Seal Bay and Cape Gantheaume Conservation Parks, Kangaroo Island, South Australia" (PDF). 1977: 13–14. Retrieved 13 May 2014. Cite journal requires
- "Fees for Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park". Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Archived from the original on 13 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Parks of Kangaroo Island Visitor Information" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. pp. 29–32. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Cape Gantheaume CP - Tadpole Cove Walk". Office for Recreation & Sport. Archived from the original on 13 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Cape Gantheaume CP - Timber Creek Walk". Office for Recreation & Sport. Archived from the original on 13 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
|This South Australia protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|