Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area
|Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area
|Nearest town or city||Kingscote|
|Established||15 October 1993|
|Area||200.99 km2 (77.6 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (South Australia)|
|Website||Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area is a protected area located on the south coast of Kangaroo Island in South Australia about 40 km (25 mi) south west of Kingscote. It was established in 1993 on land previously part of the Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park. The following qualities have been identified by the government agency managing the wilderness protection area:
The area is prime coastal wilderness with high ecological and aesthetic integrity. It is undulating country that has an excellent cover of mallee vegetation and diverse coastal landscapes with high scenic and habitat value. Wilderness quality is evaluated as high in all of the Wilderness Protection Area except a narrow strip on the east coast where it is affected to a minor extent by the presence of a rough track along the eastern coastline.
The wilderness protection area is located within the following gazetted localities (from west to east) - Seal Bay, MacGillivray and D'Estrees Bay. It is classified as an IUCN Category Ib protected area.
- "CAPAD 2012 South Australia Summary (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2014. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Wilderness Advisory Committee Annual Report 2012-13" (PDF). September 2013: 15. ISSN 1832-9357. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Search result for " Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area" (Record no SA0012208) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Cape Gantheaume coastal trek (pdf) - Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources
- Entry for Cape Gantheaume Wilderness Protection Area on protected planet
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Australia protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|