Cape Le Grand National Park
|Cape Le Grand National Park
Mount Le Grand from Frenchman Peak
|Nearest town or city||Esperance|
|Area||318.01 km2 (122.8 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Parks and Wildlife|
|Website||Cape Le Grand National Park|
|See also||List of protected areas of
Established in 1966, the park is managed by the Department of Parks and Wildlife.
The islands and waters to the south of the park are known as the Recherche Archipelago Nature Reserve, another protected area of the Recherche Archipelago and nearby coastal regions. The Cape Arid National Park is located to the east.
The south-west section of the Park is dominated by rock outcrops of gneiss and granite. These form a distinctive chain of peaks including Mount Le Grand (345 m), Frenchman Peak (262 m) and Mississippi Hill (180 m). Further inland, the park comprises mostly heath-covered sandplain, interspersed with swamps and pools of fresh water.
Wildflowers bloom in spring lasting until October and species such as blue china orchid, Diuris corymbosa, Hakea laurina, Thysanotus sparteus and Thelymitra macrophylla are represented within the park.
Some of the relic species with strong gondwanan associations that are found within the park include legless lizards like the common scaly-foot, Delma fraseri, Delma australis and Aprasia striolata. The ancient but non-gondwanan blind snake Ramphotyphlops australis is also found within the park.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cape Le Grand National Park.|
- "Department of Environment and Conservation 2009–2010 Annual Report". Department of Environment and Conservation. 2010: 48. ISSN 1835-114X.
- "Cape Le Grand National Park (entry AHD9816)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. 2010. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Cape Le Grand". Australian National Parks. 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Cape Le Grand National Park". Park Finder. 2007. Retrieved 13 May 2007.
- "Cape Le Grand National Park - Western Australia". Come Travel Australia. 2007. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Esperance Trail Map" (PDF). 2009. Retrieved 2 May 2010.