|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Ben Henderson|
|• Total||1.3 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||661 m (2,169 ft)|
|• Density||2,070.8/km2 (5,363/sq mi)|
|• Change (2009–12)||-2.6%|
The neighbourhood is bounded on the north, north west and north east by the North Saskatchewan River valley. To the west, the neighbourhood overlooks Wayne Gretzky Drive. The southern boundary west of 50 Street is 106 Avenue. From 50 Street, the neighbourhood boundary follows a zig zag path running north east until it reaches the Gold Bar Ravine. The Gold Bar Ravine forms the neighbourhood's eastern boundary.
In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Capilano had a population of 2,692 living in 1,100 dwellings, a -2.6% change from its 2009 population of 2,764. With a land area of 1.3 km2 (0.50 sq mi), it had a population density of 2,070.8 people/km2 in 2012.
Residential construction in the neighbourhood occurred largely after the end of World War II with 84.6% of, or 17 out of every 20, dwelling being constructed between 1946 and 1960. Almost all of the remaining dwellings were built during the 1960s, and development was essentially complete by 1970.
According to the 2005 municipal census, 100% of the residences in the neighbourhood were single-family dwellings. Substantially all (96%) of the residences are owner-occupied with only 4% being rented.
There are two schools in the neighbourhood:
- Suzuki Charter School
- Suzuki Charter School occupies the former Capilano Elementary School. It is a charter school with classes from K-6 and preschool
- Edmonton Catholic School System
- St. Gabriel Catholic Elementary School
The Capilano Playschool is a play-based parent cooperative for 3 & 4 year olds. It is housed in Hardisty School, a K-9 Edmonton Public School located immediately south of Capilano in the Fulton neighbourhood.
The Edmonton Public School System's McNally High School is located to the west in the neighbourhood of Forest Heights.
Access to shopping, sites and services
The neighbourhood is located a short distance to the north of Edmonton's Capilano Mall, a major shopping centre, and the Capilano Transit Centre.
Capilano Transit Centre
|Platforms||7 bus bays|
|Website||Capilano Transit Centre|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Capilano Transit Centre.|
The Capilano Transit Centre is located on the south side of the Capilano Mall. Amenities at this transit centre include a large shelter and pay phone. Thare are no vending machines, washrooms or park and ride services available at this transit centre.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Belvedere Transit Centre||99|
|Bonnie Doon||4, 94, 307|
|Coliseum Transit Centre||99|
|Downtown||1, 85, 88, 112|
|Eastgate Industrial||80, 85|
|Jasper Place Transit Centre||1|
|Lewis Farms Transit Centre||4|
|Meadowlark Transit Centre||1|
|Millgate Transit Centre||84|
|Northlands||591 (during K-Days)|
|South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre||4|
|Southgate Transit Centre||80|
|University Transit Centre||4, 94|
|West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre||1, 4, 112|
|Whyte Ave||4, 94|
School special routes that arrive/depart from Capilano Transit Centre include routes: 1S and 99S.
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "Capilano Community League". Capilano Community League. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
- "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "Capilano Transit Centre Map" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Capilano Transit Centre". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Brochures in PDF". City of Edmonton. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "School Service: ETS Trip Planner". City of Edmonton. Retrieved 28 August 2019.