|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Capital Brewery's Logo
Capital Brewery is a brewery in Middleton, Wisconsin, USA. Founded on March 14, 1984, by Madison, Wisconsin entrepreneur Ed Janus, it is in a former egg processing plant. The company first began production in spring, 1986, and now produces over 28,000 barrels of beer annually. It produces 24 distinct beers, of which nine are annuals, five are seasonals, and ten are limited release. Most are made using the strict Reinheitsgebot guidelines.
The company's brews have won awards at a number of competitions, including the Great American Beer Festival, and The Great Taste of the Midwest. The brewery was awarded the distinction of Madison's Favorite Local/Regional Beer from 1998 to 2004 in the The Capital Times/Wisconsin State Journal Reader's Choice Awards. The company has received over 200 major awards in both domestic and international competitions in over 15 categories, and the flagship Wisconsin Amber beer has been available in cans since 1997.
Capital Brewery was named "America's #1 Rated Brewery" by the Beverage Testing Institute's World Beer Championships in 1998. The brewery was also rated #7 in the world at this time.
Capital was named the Grand National Champion in the 2013 US Open Beer Championship, winning six medals.
Capital Brewery has an indoor Bier Stube as well as a large outdoor beer garden (a.k.a. the Brewery Capital Bier Garten) that is host to events throughout the year. One of the more popular is Bockfest, held on the last Saturday in February. Bockfest celebrates and ushers in the annual release of Capital Blonde Doppelbock, Capital's most highly decorated brew. Blonde Doppelbock has been awarded platinum six times in the past ten years at the World Beer Championships.
The Capital Brewery Bike Club was formed in 2009 and currently has over 400 members. The bicycle rides are held Tuesday and Thursday evenings from April through October (weather permitting) and originate from the Bier Garten.
- Supper Club
- Special Pilsner
- Wisconsin Amber
- Capital Dark
- Island Wheat
- U.S. Pale Ale
- Mutiny IPA (Capital Brewery's First India Pale Ale)
- Dark Voyage (dark IPA)
- Ghost Ship (white IPA)
- Grateful Red IPA (red IPA)
- Maibock - Available March - May
- Lake House - Available June - July
- Oktoberfest - Available August - October
- Autumnal Fire September - December
- Winter Skal - Available November - Feb.
Limited release (some are included in the 'Capital Square Series')
- Blonde Dopplebock (Winter/Spring)
- Jacked Maibock (Spring)
- Fishin' in the Dark (Summer)
- Appleanche (Fall)
- Pumpkinataur (Fall)
- Eternal Flame (Fall/Winter)
- Schwarz in a Box (Fall/Winter)
- Dark Dopplebock (Fall/Winter)
- Jobu (Brown Ale aged in rum barrels - Winter)
Beers in hibernation
- Bavarian Lager
- Brown Ale - Went into hibernation in Spring 2009 (except for an occasional appearance as Jobu)
- Capital 1900 - Hibernating since 2006.
- Hop Cream
- Grams, Steven (2014-03-06). "Capital Brewery-The Home of Real Wisconsin Beer". Passports & Cocktails. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "2013 U.S. Open Medal Winners and Grand National Champion". Atlanta, GA: US Open Beer Championship. July 2013. Retrieved 2016-12-23.