Capital High School (Olympia, Washington)
|Capital High School|
2707 Conger Ave
|Motto||Think Explore Grow|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and Gold|
Capital High School (CHS), commonly referred to as Capital, is a public high school in Olympia, Washington, United States. It is one of two comprehensive high schools in the Olympia School District. Capital is located on Olympia's Westside, and serves the entire northwest corner of Thurston County. High School students from the Olympia School District and Griffin School District attend Capital.
Capital High School started remodeling the building in 2005 and it was completed on 2006 costing about $10.5 million. The new remodel included a new student commons, a 400-seat auditorium, an auxiliary gymnasium, fitness room, modernization of the library, alternative education, administrative offices, and four pod areas. McGranahan Partnership of Tacoma designed the project. On Christmas morning of 2008 around 5 A.M., one of the remodeled sections of roof collapsed due to heavy snow. About 2,500 square feet of roof collapsed causing fire alarm to go off.
The collapse also broke a natural gas line but crews were able to shut off the gas before it caused any damage to the building.
Capital High School is a 3A-division member of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association. It is a member of the 3A Narrows League Conference. (Capital High School was 4A-division until 2006-2007 season, 3A-division until 2007-2012 season, 2A-division until 2012-2014 and then moved back up to 3A Fall 2014).
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Cross Country, Boys||1||1997|
|Golf, Boys||6||1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1988, 1999|
|Fastpitch Softball, Girls||4||1994, 1995, 1997, 1998|
|Tennis, Boys||3||1990, 1992, 2014|
State Championships, 2nd place:
Baseball - 1978, 1995, 1997; Boys Cross Country - 1996; Fastpitch Softball - 2007; Football - 2002; Boys Golf - 1987; Girls Golf - 1994; Girls Swimming - 2002; Boys Tennis - 1991, 1993; Girls Tennis - 1988, 1990; Girls Volleyball - 1994, 2013, 2014; Wrestling - 2000,
- Eloise Mumford — Film and Broadway Actress
- Bill Bryant — Seattle Port Commissioner
- Rachel Corrie — American peace activist
- Jed Hansen — former MLB player (Kansas City Royals)
- Joe Kraemer — former MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- Andres Gonzales — PGA Golfer
- Adam Kasper — Record Exec.
- Travis Lee — Former Major League Baseball player
- Jared Sandberg — Former Professional Baseball Player
- Tobi Vail — Musician, Bikini Kill
- Brodie Buckland — 2012 Olympic Rower
- "Capital High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- League alignments 2010-2012 Archived March 30, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Washington Interscholastic Activities Association tournament history
- PGA Tour profile Archived January 28, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
|This Washington (state) school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|