||This article or section contains close paraphrasing of one or more non-free copyrighted sources. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Captain D’s is a U.S.-based chain of fast casual restaurants specializing in seafood. Captain D’s serves a wide variety of seafood that includes freshly prepared entrees and the company’s signature hand batter dipped fish, which is freshly prepared. The restaurants also offer premium-quality grilled items such as shrimp and salmon, as well as hushpuppies, desserts and freshly brewed Southern-style sweet tea.
"It's Gotta Be D's"
|Industry||Fast casual restaurant|
|Founded||August 15, 1969 in Donelson, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Headquarters||Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Phil Greifeld (President & CEO)|
The first Captain D’s restaurant opened in Donelson, Tennessee on August 15, 1969. Known originally as Mr. D’s Seafood and Hamburgers, Captain D’s changed its company name to Captain D’s Seafood in 1974 to focus more exclusively on its classic fish and chips, shrimp and side dishes.
Throughout the 1970s, the company grew rapidly and added special programs like the Kids’ Birthday Club and children’s comic books. During the 1980s and 1990s, the company’s logo and building design evolved. In August 2006, Captain D’s rolled out a new menu that included entrees like Alaskan Salmon, tilapia and pasta, as well as a number of side dishes including cheddar broccoli casserole and garlic mashed potatoes. This new menu rollout won Captain D’s the 2007 Nation’s Restaurant News MenuMasters Award in the category of “Best Menu Revamp.”
On September 13, 2010, Phil Greifeld was appointed CEO of Captain D’s. Captain D’s began its store renovation program in 2012, rolling out a new vibrant, coastal design designed to enhance the Captain D’s experience for guests. That same year, the brand launched its $4.99 Full Meal Deals, famous fish and seafood options expertly crafted and designed around flavors Captain D’s customers crave.
In 2013, the brand launched a new grilled menu featuring items like grilled salmon and Captain D’s first Surf and Turf offering, as well as a new 3-D kids program, a range of kids’ meal offering featuring a “fun pack” full of 3-D glasses, reading materials and other items.
Today, Captain D’s is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee and has over 500 restaurants in 21 states across the U.S.
Awards & Rankings
In 2013, The Nashville Post named Greifeld CEO of the Year, an annual title given to a leading chief executive officer in the Nashville area. In 2016, Captain D’s ranked the #1 in the seafood segment of the QSR 50, the annual ranking by QSR magazine that gives an inside look at the top 50 brands in quick service and fast casual.
In recognition of its ongoing franchise development and successful franchise recruitment practices, Captain D’s placed first in Best Overall Performance at the 2016 STAR Awards hosted by Franchise Update. Each year, Captain D’s inducts its top franchise owners into its prestigious President’s Club at the annual convention.
- "Captain D's - Your Seafood Restaurant | our history". www.captainds.com. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "Event history". www.menumasters.com. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "Captain D’s lands Huddle House CEO". www.seafoodsource.com. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "History". www.seafoodsource.com. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- mary (2013-02-20). "Captain’s Turns its Ship Around". QSR magazine. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "CEO of the Year: The flying fish at Captain D's | Nashville Post". Nashville Post. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- tory (2016-08-02). "The QSR 50 Seafood Segment". QSR magazine. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "STAR Awards 2016 Top Winners Honored for Best Recruitment Practices". Franchising.com. Retrieved 2017-06-14.
- "Captain D’s Top Franchise Owners Honored at Annual Convention". Captain D's. 2016-09-20. Retrieved 2017-06-14.