"It's Gotta Be D's"
|Industry||Fast casual restaurant|
|Founded||August 15, 1969 in Donelson, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Headquarters||Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Phil Greifeld (President & CEO)|
Captain D’s is a U.S.-based chain of fast-casual restaurants, specializing in seafood and fish and chips. The restaurant also features a new grilled menu. The restaurant chain's headquarters is located in Nashville, Tennessee. Its main competitor is Long John Silver's.
The first Captain D’s restaurant opened in Donelson, Tennessee, on August 15, 1969 under the name “Mr. D’s”.
Captain D’s Seafood has won the 2007 Nation’s Restaurant News “MenuMasters Award” in the category of “Best Menu Revamp.”. More recently, Captain D's has experienced a major brand turnaround, with over 18 quarters of same store sales growth. The success has also brought about a renewed interested in franchising, as existing and new Captain D's franchisees have begun opening new restaurants. Additionally, Phil Greifeld was named CEO of the Year by the Nashville Post in 2013.
After a 2000 bankruptcy, Dallas-based Lone Star Funds bought Shoney’s in 2002. Timonium, Maryland-based Grotech Capital Group Inc. and Charlesbank Capital Partners, a Boston private equity firm, formed Sagittarius Brands and bought Captain D’s in December 2004 for US$150 million. Captain D’s owners also operated Del Taco.
In 2010, Captain D's was acquired by Sun Capital Partners. Captain D's bought Grandy's from SSI Holding Group (which also owned Souper Salad) in 2012. In 2013, Sun sold Captain D's to Centre Partners. The sale of Captain D's in 2013 was recognized by Reuters Buyout Magazine as the 2013 Turnaround Deal of the Year.
- "Terms and Conditions & Privacy Statement Archived January 3, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.." Captain D's. Retrieved on February 25, 2010.
- Menumasters Archived December 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Captain D's Celebrates Unit Growth with Multi-Unit Agreements in Q3".
- "Captain D's upgrades bolster sales". 25 February 2013.
- Captain D's president retiring; replacement named | Make and Buy | NashvillePost.com: Nashville Business News + Nashville Political News
- Sun Capital to buy Captain D's Seafood Kitchen Archived May 24, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Souper Salad and Grandy’s Sold to Captain D’s, LNC Ventures
- Centre Partners to acquire Captain D's