Captain General Royal Marines
|Captain General Royal Marines|
Insignia of the Captain General Royal Marines
|Ministry of Defence|
|Inaugural holder||King George V|
The Captain General Royal Marines is the ceremonial head of the Royal Marines. The uniform and insignia worn by the Captain General are those of a field marshal. This position is distinct from that of the Commandant General Royal Marines, the professional head (who is ranked as a major-general).
The ceremonial head of the Royal Marines was the Colonel in Chief until the title changed to Captain General in 1948.
The post has been held by the following:
|№||Colonel-in-Chief||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Ref|
|1||King George V|
|1 January 1901||20 January 1936||35 years, 19 days|||
|2||King George VI|
|23 March 1936||1948||11 years, 281 days|||
- King George VI 1948–1952
- HRH The Duke of Edinburgh 1953–2017
- HRH The Duke of Sussex 2017–present
- "Captain General". Royal Marines Museum. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "No. 27263". The London Gazette. 4 January 1901. p. 83.
- "No. 34268". The London Gazette. 27 March 1936. p. 1975.
- "Assumption of Title of Colonel-in-Chief, Royal Marines, by H.M. King George VI". National Archives. 1936. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "No. 39863". The London Gazette (Supplement). 26 May 1953. p. 2939.
- "RM Online (archived version, defunct site)". Archived from the original on 21 October 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent. "Prince Harry takes on Royal Marines role from Duke of Edinburgh". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "No. 62148". The London Gazette. 27 December 2017. p. 23814.
|NATO rank code||Student officer||OF-1||OF-2||OF-3||OF-4||OF-5||OF-6
|Royal Navy||O Cdt||Mid||SLt||Lt||Lt Cdr||Cdr||Capt||Cdre||RAdm
|Adm of the Fleet|
|Royal Marines||O Cdt||2Lt||Lt||Capt||Maj||Lt Col||Col||Brig||Maj-Gen||Lt-Gen||Gen
|Army||O Cdt||2Lt||Lt||Capt||Maj||Lt Col||Col||Brig||Maj-Gen
|Royal Air Force||Off Cdt / SO||APO / Plt Off||Fg Off||Flt Lt||Sqn Ldr||Wg Cdr||Gp Capt||Air Cdre||AVM||Air Mshl||Air Chf Mshl
|Mshl of the RAF|
|This United Kingdom military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a military rank or appointment is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|