|Country of origin||Jamaica|
|Alcohol by volume||35%|
|Proof (US)||70 (Original)|
|Related products||List of rum producers|
Captain Morgan is a brand of flavored rums (including, in Europe, some rum-flavored "premium spirit drinks") produced by British alcohol conglomerate Diageo. It is named after the 17th-century Welsh privateer of the Caribbean, Sir Henry Morgan.
In 1984, Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum was introduced to the United States. On 15 April 2005, Captain Morgan Tattoo Black Spiced rum and its mysterious 'sweet-to-heat' finish became the newest addition to the Captain Morgan Family. Captain Morgan was, by volume, the second largest brand of spirits in the United States, and the seventh largest worldwide in 2007. In 2007[update], 7.6 million 9-litre cases were sold. Most Captain Morgan rum is sold in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, South Africa, and Global Travel.
In November 2009, the NFL banned a covert ad campaign allegedly put on by Diageo. It was understood that for each NFL player striking the "Captain Morgan" pose on camera during a regular season game, Diageo would donate US$10,000 (equivalent to $12,631 in 2021) to the Gridiron Greats (a non-profit which helps retired NFL players with various hardships after leaving the game). The league made this announcement following such a celebration by Brent Celek of the Philadelphia Eagles.
In 2010 two American territories, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands bickered over plans for Captain Morgan to move operations to the Virgin Islands for tax reasons. The matter came to a head during a debate in the United States Congress over the USVI's attempt to use tax benefits to lure the company to that territory.
In 2014, Diageo Canada filed a trade dress infringement lawsuit against Heaven Hill Distilleries Inc, claiming striking similarities between the Captain Morgan character and Admiral Nelson, and that the similarity would dilute the Captain Morgan trademark. Diageo Canada won the lawsuit in 2017.
In 2020, the brand launch a new product called Captain Morgan Tiki. This new pineapple mango flavor rum is available in the United Kingdom, Australia, the Czech Republic and Germany.
- White Rum – A five-times distilled rum that is aged in white oak barrels for over a year, and then filtered to remove the colour, except for the Atlantic Canadian market, where it retains a greenish tinge.
- Tiki – A limited edition rum with pineapple and mango flavors to pair with lemonade.
In popular culture
Before and after the 2015 SummerSlam event, John Cena used the brand as a nickname for Seth Rollins (the WWE World Heavyweight Champion) on WWE's Monday Night Raw show. In 2016, Diageo created special limited edition bottles to commemorate Wes Morgan captaining Leicester City F.C. to the 2015–16 Premier League title.
- "Captain Morgan Was Actually a Real Person—and He Didn't Make Rum". Reader's Digest. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "Diageo Company History". Archived from the original on 4 April 2007. Retrieved 13 April 2007.
- "Captain Morgan" Archived 26 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine Diageo. 9 August 2008
- "NFL to Captain Morgan, players: 'Ambush marketing' won't be tolerated". USA Today. 12 November 2009. Retrieved 29 April 2010.
- Lever, Rob (29 March 2010). "Daggers in Washington in Captain Morgan rum battle". Caribbean Net News. Retrieved 30 August 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "USVI governor asks US senator to reconsider legislation harming territory's economic future". Caribbean Net News. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Eads, Lauren. "Diageo sues 'copycat' Admiral Nelson's rum". The Drinks Business. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- Robertson, Susan. "Captain Morgan defends trademark as Admiral Nelson's is ordered to weigh anchor". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Captain Morgan creates tiki-themed spirit drink". March 2020. Archived from the original on 24 March 2020.
- April 13, Russ Martin. "Captain Morgan honours its East Coast connection". Marketingmag.ca.
- "Captain Morgan White Rum Review". Cocktail Enthusiast. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "John Cena vs. Seth Rollins Contract Signing: Raw, Aug. 17, 2015". Archived from the original on 12 December 2021 – via YouTube.
I figured there was no chance in hell I was ever getting close to that championship again until Captain Morgan over here opened his big fat stupid mouth!
- "Seth Rollins gets an unwelcome Night of Champions surprise: Raw, Aug. 31, 2015". Archived from the original on 12 December 2021 – via YouTube.
John: "do I have a match against Captain Morgan ... at Night of Champions ... for the United States Championship?" Stephanie: "Yes."
- "Leicester Captain Wes Morgan Appears on Limited Edition Bottles of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum".