|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genre||Science fiction, Action|
|Created by||Ketan Mehta|
|Opening theme||"Captain Vyom"|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||54|
|Running time||Approx. 24 minutes|
|Original network||DD National|
|Picture format||PAL SDTV|
By 2123, humans have conquered the solar system and established space stations on several planets. The earth is governed by World Government, headquartered at Delhi.
As the series begins, Maya is traveling from Earth to Mars and during the journey is hit by a meteor and an unknown life-form is carried onto the spacecraft. After a successful landing on Mars she meets Astro Guru (Shrivallabh Vyas), oldest and wisest man in the world. He is also a scientist and astrologer and is trying to integrate physics and philosophy. After that Maya travels to Io, the moon of Jupiter, where she is to be the new jailer of the most secured prison in the solar system. It holds the 12 most dangerous criminals of the Universe in an incapacitated state. The unknown life-form enters the prison through Maya's shoes and the criminals are awakened. They are aided by an ensuing meteor shower on Io. All 12 criminals escape the prison using their abilities to disable the security system on the prison.
Captain Vyom (Milind Soman), a super soldier, is assigned by World Government and Vishwapramukh - the world President (Tom Alter) to capture the fugitives. He is unaware of his parents and considers himself an orphan. He was raised in a monastery in Ladakh and has acquired superpowers by training in Yoga. He is given a team of exceptionally-powered soldiers to fight the criminals. The team includes Pablo - the pilot, Lieutenant Maya (Kartika Rane), Captain Blaze (Sanjay Singh), Dr. Zen (Divya Palat) - the medic, Fuller (Sanjeev Vatsa) - the engineer, Syd-E - the android (Shehzaad Saeed), and Surya (Jeto Sanjana). They live in a spaceship named Ulka उल्का (meaning meteor) developed by Fuller.
The series evolves as they come across the criminals one by one and capture them. In the end, Captain Vyom has to travel back in time to pursue the 12th inmate Vikaal (Played by Rahul Bose) who tries to kill Dr. Om Swaroop (Milind Soman), to rewrite history. The story takes a turn when Captain Vyom confronts Dr Om Swaroop as they look alike. Soon, Vyom finds out that Dr Swaroop is actually his biological father and seeks more knowledge about his mother. Eventually Captain Vyom is revealed as the grandson of the emperor of Parajeevs - the parasites, an alien race of body parasites from thirteenth dimension. His mother Parchhayee (Nethra Raghuraman) is a daughter of the Kaala Saya, the emperor of Parajeevs making Vyom half-alien.
- Captain Vyom (Milind Soman)
- Lieutenant Maya (Kartika Rane)
- Captain Blaze (Sanjay M. Singh)
- Dr. Zen (Divya Palat)
- Fuller (Sanjeev Vatsa)
- Pablo (Vinod Pandit)
- SYD-E, the android (Shahzaad Saeed)
- Surya (Jeto Sanjana)
- Shakti: (Perizaad Zorabian)
12 most dangerous criminals of the Universe:
- Teja / Tejang - The keeper of light (Aditya Sharma)
- Mohini - The hypnotist (Malvika Singh)
- Paras - The alchemist (Abhimanyu Raj Singh)
- Morpho - The shape-shifter (Andy Tharane)
- Kineto - Master of telekinetic abilities (Ravi Khore)
- Sonic - The Lord of soundwaves (Dino Morea)
- Venom - The toxicologist (Madhu Sapre and Achint Kaur)
- Chhalasur - The illusionist (Faredoon Bhoojwala)
- Durgati - The biologist (Sushmita Mukherjee)
- Computo - The cyborg (Rukee Dadachani)
- Gravito - The gravity expert (Joy Fernandes)
- Vikaal / Chronos - The space and time-traveler (Rahul Bose and Ken Philips)
- Vishwapramukh - the world President (Tom Alter)
- Astro Guru (Shrivallabh Vyas)
- Dr Om Swaroop (Milind Soman)
- Parchhaayee (Nethra Raghuraman)
- Kaala Saya (black shadow)
- Chaya (Kartika Rane)
- Maya and Chaya's father (Sunil Rege)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.
|1||"Episode 1"||Ketan Mehta||Ketan Mehta||1998||NA|
|As the future of year 2123 AD is shown, it's revealed that Delhi is capital of World government. Dr Ray from Earth's station is in command to send Lieutenant Maya to Mars station. Maya travels to Mars avoiding meteors attacking Maya's spaceship. Upon reaching Mars station, Maya meets Commander Zoltan, in charge of a jail located on one of the planet. It's here that Maya meets Surya, son of Commander Zoltan. The first person Zoltan takes Maya to meet is Astroguru, claimed as oldest and wisest man on Mars. Astroguru is dazzled by Maya's beauty. He later seems to know about Maya's sister and her medical condition and also predicts she will go on a dangerous mission with few people, that will change her life forever. Later Zoltan takes Maya to jail, located on the planet IO, housing 12 of the most dangerous creatures of the galaxy. Zoltan explains how the jail is the most secured jail of the galaxy with five layers of security: volcano tunnel, diamond gate, time warp, laser web and astro-shield energy vacuum. All 12 creatures captured are then introduced. As the episode ends, some unpredictable behavior of a meteor cluster is revealed, which is about to fall on IO planet.|
The futuristic science fiction show was conceived by Ketan Mehta. The special effects were created by Maya Entertainment Ltd. jointly owned by the National Film Development Corporation and Mehta. The series costed three times than the average production at that time due to special effects.
Release and reception
The series aired in India on DD1 every Sunday 10 am in late 1998. The series received favorable response from audience and critics. It had considerable fan following in the 1990s. The series had rerun on SAB TV. In 2008, Soman expressed his willingness to star in the second season, film or video game if ever produced.
In June 2016, it was announced that the series will be made available on digital platforms by Cosmos Maya. The first episode was published by on June 2016 on YouTube channel WOW TEENZ. As of 29th November 2016, there are 23 episodes available online. They upload an episode a week on their YouTube channel.
A comics based on the television series was published by Diamond Comics in English and several other Indian languages. The comics maintained the storyline of the original television series.
- "Captain Vyom: A futuristic epic starring Milind Soman as the sky warrior : SOCIETY & THE ARTS". India Today. 15 December 1996. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Menon, Lakshmi (19 July 1998). "The Tribune... Bollywood Bhelpuri". The Tribune, Chandigarh, India. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Why Captain Vyom as a character deserves his own movie?". Mythical India. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2015.