Capture NX was first released in July 2006. Capture NX 2 was released in June 2008.
In September 2012, Google acquired Nik Software, but Capture NX has remained a Nikon software and is advertised as a Nikon product.
In July 2014 Nikon has released a new software Capture NX-D and desupported Capture NX 2. Nikon D810 is the first camera only supported in the new product which was developed based on SILKYPIX Developer Studio and does not contain the U-Point technology of Nik any longer.
Features of both Capture NX Products
- Complete raw image format support from import to export (for supported cameras), including Nikon's own RAW format NEF (Nikon Electronic File).
- Non-destructive image editing.
- Color management control with Soft Proofing.
- Color Aberration Control, D-Lighting (High Speed/High Quality), Image Dust Off, Vignette Control and Fisheye-to-Rectilinear Image Transformation.
- Noise Reduction: global or selective adjustments.
- Color Balance, Contrast/Brightness, Saturation/Warmth.
- Lens correction tools, such as chromatic aberration or distortion control.
- Auto Retouch Brush, to remove blemishes and dust from images. (not in CNX-D V 1.0 but will be added later)
- Shadow/Highlight Adjustment, to open up shadows or recover blown out highlights.
- Improved Edit List, to apply common editings like auto color aberration, auto red-eye correction, vignette control, tone curves, contrast and highlight, exposure compensation and shadow protection.
- Filters, Ratings and Sorting Toolbar.
Features of Capture NX-D only
- All changes are saved to a Sidecar File in subfolder NKS_PARAM.
- At this moment relatively low performance (for versions 1.0x - 1.3x) comparing to latest versions of Capture NX 2.4x
Features of Capture NX only
- All changes are saved to the NEF file.
- Color Control Point editing for hue, brightness and saturation.
- Selection Control Points, selectively edit photographs without the need to manually outline or mask the area for editing.
- Plug-In Interface for Nik Color Efex Pro
- Ability to use Dust Off Reference photo created by some Nikon DSLR's to automatically remove dust from images
- "Interview with Keita Kimura". imaging.nikon.com. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Lardinois, Frederic (September 17, 2012). "Google Acquires Nik Software, The Company Behind The Popular Snapseed Photo Editing App For iOS". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Capture NX 2 Photo Editing Software". nikonusa.com. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
|This graphics software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|