Captured Live at the Forum
|Captured Live at the Forum|
|Live album by|
|Released||October 16, 1969|
|Recorded||July 14, 1969|
|Venue||The Forum, Los Angeles|
|Label||Dunhill (U.S. original release)|
MCA (U.S. CD reissue)
RCA Victor (Canada)
|Three Dog Night chronology|
The album was recorded at The Forum in Los Angeles. According to Three Dog Nightmare, Three Dog Night opened this show in support of Steppenwolf, who were recording various shows on their 1969–70 tour for an upcoming live album (Steppenwolf Live, released 1970). Steppenwolf and Three Dog Night both recorded for the ABC/Dunhill label and shared the same production team, and it was decided to record Three Dog Night on this occasion as well, despite the band's having only released two albums to date. The choice paid off, as Captured Live at the Forum reached #6 on the Billboard album chart.
All the songs featured on Captured Live at the Forum were previously issued in studio versions by Three Dog Night. "Feelin' Alright", "Eli's Coming", and "Easy to Be Hard" were included on the band's second studio album Suitable for Framing, and the remainder on their eponymous first album.
Original pressings of the album bore the headline "In front of an audience over 18,000 on September 12, 1969 in Los Angeles, Three Dog Night was Captured Live at the Forum." Future pressings would remove September 12 date, however, and lead singer Chuck Negron's autobiography Three Dog Nightmare would subsequently list the concert's performance date as July 14, 1969.
- "Heaven Is in Your Mind" (Jim Capaldi, Steve Winwood, Chris Wood) – 3:23
- "Feelin' Alright" (Dave Mason) – 4:55
- "It's for You" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 2:02
- "Nobody" (Beth Beatty, Dick Cooper, Ernie Shelby) – 3:03
- "One" (Harry Nilsson) – 3:37
- "Chest Fever" (J.R. Robertson) – 7:02
- "Eli's Coming" (Laura Nyro) – 3:45
- "Easy to Be Hard" (Galt MacDermot, James Rado, Gerome Ragni) – 4:25
- "Try a Little Tenderness" (Jimmy Campbell, Reginald Connelly, Harry M. Woods) – 6:08
Three Dog Night
- Cory Wells – vocals
- Chuck Negron – vocals
- Danny Hutton – vocals
- Mike Allsup – guitar
- Joe Schermie – bass
- Floyd Sneed – drums
- Jimmy Greenspoon – keyboard
- Producer: Richard Podolor
- Engineer: Bill Cooper
- Photography: Ed Caraeff
- Roadie, Lighting: Dennis Albro
- Roadie, Sound: Lee Carlton
Album – Billboard (United States)
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- Allmusic review
- "Robert Christgau: CG: Three Dog Night". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- Negron, Chuck (1999). Three Dog Nightmare: The Chuck Negron Story, Renaissance, ISBN 1-58063-040-5, p. 101.
- Three Dog Night, Captured Live at the Forum Chart Position Retrieved February 16, 2015
- "American album certifications – Three Dog Night – Captured Live at the Forum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 14, 2019.