Capul Island Lighthouse
Capul Island Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1896|
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with double balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower with red trims, white lantern|
|Tower height||12 metres (39 ft)|
|Focal height||43 metres (141 ft)|
|Original lens||third-order Fresnel lens|
|Range||18 nautical miles (33 km; 21 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 7s.|
|Heritage||National Historical Landmark|
Capul Island Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Titoog Point in San Luis on the northern tip of Capul Island, Northern Samar in the Philippines. It marks the western entrance to the San Bernardino Strait coming in from Ticao Pass.
The design of the lighthouse started in 1892 under Guillermo Brockman. He designed a cylindrical lighthouse with a pavilion and machinery. Construction on the lighthouse was started on October 1893 under Francisco Perez Muñoz and it was first lit on December 1896 while the station was still partially complete. Work was suspended a month before on November 1896 on the onset of the Philippine Revolution. The pavilion was finished during the American era.
Marker from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines
The lighthouse was declared as a National Historical Landmark on September 9, 2013. The marker entitled Parola ng Capul was installed on October 24, 2018. It was installed by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
|Original Filipino Text||Translated English Text|
|IDINISENYO NI GUILLERMO BROCKMAN ANG PAROLANG PABILOG NA MAY PABELYON AT MAKINARYA, 1892. IPINATAYO SA PANGANGASIWA NI FRANCISCO PEREZ MUÑOZ, 1893. NATAPOS ANG PAROLA, 1896 AT ANG PABELYON NOONG PANAHON NG MGA AMERIKANO. GIYA NG MGA SASAKYANG PANDAGAT SA KIPOT NG SAN BERNARDINO. IPINAHAYAG BILANG PAMBANSANG PALATANDAANG PANGKASAYSAYAN SA BISA NG RESOLUSYON BLG. 12 NG PAMBANSANG KOMISYONG PANGKASAYSAYAN NG PILIPINAS, 9 SETYEMBRE 2013.||The cylindrical lighthouse with pavilion and machinery was designed by Guillermo Brockman, 1892. Constructed under the administration of Francisco Perez Muñoz, 1893. The lighthouse was finished in 1896 while the pavilion was finished during the American Era. Serves as a guide for ships traversing along San Bernardino Strait. Declared as a National Historical Landmark under the Resolution No. 12 of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines, September 9, 2013.|
- Capul Island Lighthouse The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved March 12, 2016
- Department of Commerce, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, "United States Coast Pilot, Part 1", p. 203. Washington Government Printing Office, 1919.
- "Capul Tourism". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- Algunos Padres de la Mision de la Compañia de Jesus en Estas Islas (Filipinas), "El Archipiélago Filipino, Collecion de Datos", p. 527. Washington: Imprenta del Gobierno,1900.
- PIA Daily News Reader
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the Central Philippines". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Capul Island Lighthouse in Lighthouse Digest's Lighthouse Explorer Database
- Maritime Safety Services Command
- Capul Light on Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society's World List of Lights
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Capul Island Lighthouse.|
|This lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in the Philippines is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|