Caratoola Recreation Park
|Caratoola Recreation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Haslam|
|Established||24 April 1969|
|Area||54 hectares (130 acres)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Caratoola Recreation Park (formerly the Caratoola National Parks Reserve) is a protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located in the locality of Haslam about 0.5 kilometres (0.31 miles) north of the town of Haslam and about 35 kilometres (22 miles) north of the town of Streaky Bay.
The recreation park consists of land in section 53 of the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Haslam. It is bounded by the Haslam Highway to the east and by Watkinson Road to the south. In 1980, it was described as "Mallee tea tree associations on coast.'
The land under protection was first proclaimed as the Caratoola National Parks Reserve under the National Parks Act 1966 on 24 April 1969. On 27 April 1972, the national parks reserve was re-proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 as the Caratoola Recreation Park .
In 1980, it was nominated for inclusion on the interim list of the now-defunct Register of the National Estate, but was withdrawn by the nominator because of its “small size”, “drastically altered natural vegetation” and the “reserve used primarily for community recreation with little or no conservation significance.”
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Search results for 'Caratoola Recreation Park' with the following datasets selected - 'NPW and Conservation Properties', 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Hundreds' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- DeGaris, R. C. (24 April 1969). "NATIONAL PARKS ACT, 1966: HUNDRED OF HASLAM —CARATOOLA NATIONAL PARK RESERVE" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 1175. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 25 November 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "No. 56 of 1972 (National Parks and Wildlife Act, 1972)". The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia: 660 & 704. 27 April 1972. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Caratoola Recreation Reserve (sic) – submission for inclusion on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 6744)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 1980. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Q&A – Recreation in parks and reserves Why are some Recreation Parks being re-allocated to Conservation Parks while others are staying as Recreation Parks?" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2015.