Caravan (Art Blakey album)
|Studio album by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers|
|Released||Early February 1963|
|Recorded||October 23-24, 1962
Plaza Sound Studios, New York City
|Genre||Jazz, hard bop|
|Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers chronology|
Caravan is a jazz album released by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers in February 1963. It was Blakey's first album for Riverside Records after he signed with them in October 1962. The songs were recorded at the Plaza Sound Studio in New York City, on October 23-24, 1962 The producer was Orrin Keepnews who also supervised the album's remastered re-release on CD.
(Original Lp release)
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
- "Caravan" (Juan Tizol) - 9:47
- "Sweet 'n' Sour" (Shorter) - 5:31
- "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (Mann, Hilliard) - 4:06
- "This Is for Albert" (Shorter) - 8:21
- "Skylark" (Carmichael, Mercer) - 4:51
- "Thermo" (Hubbard) - 6:48
- The remastered CD re-issue features two alternate takes, each preceding its master take.
- "Thermo (Take 2)" (Hubbard) - 7:26
- "Sweet 'n' Sour (Take 4)" (Shorter) - 5:27
- Art Blakey - drums
- Wayne Shorter - tenor saxophone
- Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
- Curtis Fuller - trombone
- Cedar Walton - piano
- Reggie Workman - bass
- Billboard, Feb. 9, 1963, p. 28.
- Billboard, Nov. 3, 1962, p. 24.
- Art Blakey Discography on Jazzdisco.org
- Reynolds, Nick. (August 24, 2007) "Art Blakey Jazz Messengers Caravan Review" BBC. Accessed September 7, 2011.
- Down Beat: April 25, 1963 Vol. 30, No. 10
- Allmusic review
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 26. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.