CarbonCast is a precast concrete technology that uses carbon-fibre grid as secondary reinforcing or as a shear truss. It was introduced by AltusGroup, Inc., a North American partnership of 17 precast concrete manufacturers and seven industry suppliers founded to expedite the research and national commercialization of concrete innovations.
The CarbonCast line of commercial products includes:
- CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels are composed of two concrete wythes separated by continuous insulation and connected by C-GRID carbon fibre shear trusses
- CarbonCast Insulated Architectural Cladding feature inner and outer wythes 1-3⁄4″thick or more for a total concrete thickness of 3-1⁄2″. The wythes sandwich a layer of insulation of usually 2″ or more depending on R-value requirements
- CarbonCast Architectural Cladding employs a steel reinforced Vierendeel-like truss frame attached to a thin, C-GRID reinforced diaphragm face. Insulating foam forms around patented V-ribs, designed to create a thermal break with the face of the panel, and displaces concrete to provide insulation while C-GRID carbon fibre shear trusses mechanically link the face and truss ribs
- CarbonCast Double Tees replace conventional steel mesh reinforcing in the flange with C-GRID carbon fibre grid
The use of carbon fibre grid over conventional reinforcement yields a number of unique properties to CarbonCast components:
- Lower weight - When carbon fibre grid replaces steel mesh in the face of concrete products, manufacturers can use less concrete cover to protect the mesh from corrosive elements. Non-corrosive carbon fibre eliminates the need for extra concrete.
- Improved thermal performance - The relatively low thermal conductivity of carbon fibre permits CarbonCast components to provide higher R-values than conventional precast concrete.
- Improved strength - Carbon fibre is four times stronger than steel by weight providing better surface crack control when used as secondary reinforcing and 100% composite action when used as a truss in insulated wall panels.
- Comparable cost - Many applications receive savings in foundation and superstructure (reduced weight), energy costs (insulation) and maintenance (reduced corrosion).
There are more than 700 projects totaling more than 30,000,000 square feet (2,800,000 m2) of surface area of CarbonCast technology in these markets:
- Industrial / Warehouse
- Commercial Office
- Parking Structure
- Multi-Family Residential
Prominent structures that have used CarbonCast technology include:
- Proximity Hotel, Greensboro, NC
- Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
- University Commons at Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- Insulated Wall Panels, retrieved 2010-06-09
- New Carbon Fibre Reinforcement Advances Sandwich Wall Panels Archived December 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine., retrieved 2010-06-10
- CarbonCast by AltusGroup retrieved 2010-06-10
- Building a better sandwich retrieved 2010-06-10
- Cladding Archived July 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. retrieved 2010-06-10
- Jet Fighters and Golf Clubs: Similar to Parking Garages?, retrieved 2010-06-10
- Precast Concrete Technology Reduces Weight, Improves Insulation, retrieved 2010-06-19