Carbondale Township, Jackson County, Illinois
Location in Jackson County
Jackson County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 4, 1884|
|• Total||38.17 sq mi (98.9 km2)|
|• Land||37.41 sq mi (96.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.76 sq mi (2.0 km2) 1.99%|
|Elevation||400 ft (122 m)|
|• Density||789.7/sq mi (304.9/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62901, 62966|
|GNIS feature ID||0428760|
Carbondale Township is one of sixteen townships in Jackson County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 29,544 and it contained 14,341 housing units. Southern Illinois University is located in this township.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 38.17 square miles (98.9 km2), of which 37.41 square miles (96.9 km2) (or 98.01%) is land and 0.76 square miles (2.0 km2) (or 1.99%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Carbondale (vast majority)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- De Soto Township (north)
- Makanda Township (south)
- Pomona Township (southwest)
- Murphysboro Township (west)
- Somerset Township (northwest)
The township contains these six cemeteries: Dillinger, North County Line, Oakland, Snider Hill, Winchester and Woodlawn.
Airports and landing strips
- Memorial Hospital of Carbondale Heliport
- Campus Lake
- Attucks Park
- Evergreen Park
- Southern Illinois Airport (southeast quarter)
- The Crossings
- University Mall
- Murphysboro Community Unit School District 186
- Illinois' 12th congressional district
- State House District 115
- State Senate District 58
- "Carbondale Township, Jackson County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.