Carbury, North Dakota
|Carbury, North Dakota|
Location of Carbury, North Dakota
|Elevation||1,660 ft (510 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1028276|
Carbury is a ghost town and unincorporated community in Bottineau County in the U.S. State of North Dakota. It is located along North Dakota Highway 14 in the eastern part of the county, east of Souris, North Dakota. The town is virtually abandoned, and the 2000 Census did not record a population. The post office closed in 1984, but the U.S. Postal Service has assigned it the same zip code of 58783 as nearby Souris.
Carbury is named after the village of Carbury in County Kildare, Ireland. Founded in 1901 as a station on the Great Northern Railway, the post office first opened April 16, 1906. Though the town has been known as Carbury since its founding, it was originally intended to be named Roth, which is a town roughly 12 miles (19 km) to the west. However, due to a mixup by railroad officials or the Secretary of State, depending on who tells the story, the townsite names were accidentally switched when the wrong signs were posted. The mistake was never corrected. Carbury's original post office was assigned the zip code 58724. The post office closed in 1984, and mail service was merged with Souris, North Dakota.
The town experienced a top population of 50 in 1920, which had dwindled to 5 by 1980.
Carbury is part of Pickering Township in the Souris River Valley. It is roughly 10 miles (16 km) to the northwest of the county seat of Bottineau, North Dakota and roughly 7 miles (11 km) to the southeast of Souris.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Wick, Douglas A. North Dakota Place Names. Hedemarken Collectibles. p. 31. ISBN 0-9620968-0-6.
- "Carbury, North Dakota". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Postal Service, Find a Postmaster
- Zip Code Lookup
- "Port Of Entry-Carbury". U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "Roth, North Dakota". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Sherman, William C. (1983). Pairie Mosaic: An Ethnic Atlas of Rural North Dakota. Fargo, North Dakota: North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies. p. 71. ISBN 0-911042-27-X. OCLC 256228966.
- "Carbury Dam, Bottineau County" (PDF). Lake Contour Maps. North Dakota Game and Fish Department. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- Dakota Lawmakers, North Dakota Legislative Council