Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, California
|Community of Cardiff-by-the-Sea|
Sunset at Cardiff Beach
|Elevation||79 ft (24 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1656451|
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, usually referred to as Cardiff, is a beach community located in Encinitas in San Diego County, California. The Pacific Ocean is to the west of Cardiff, the rest of Encinitas on its east and north, and a beach and lagoon on its south. With a population of under 12,000, Cardiff-by-the-Sea operates as part of the city of Encinitas, but unlike the other communities that comprise Encinitas, has its own ZIP code (92007).
Cardiff is also home to a few well-known surf spots, such as Swami's and Cardiff Reef.
In 1911 this former farming community began to develop when Boston developer J. Frank Cullen broke ground to build new homes. Frank Cullen's wife, a native of Cardiff, Wales, persuaded him to name the community "Cardiff", as well as many streets, such as "Birmingham", "Oxford", "Chesterfield" and "Manchester", despite heavy Spanish influence in the area. In 1986 Cardiff joined with the nearby communities of Leucadia, Olivenhain, and Encinitas to form the incorporated city of Encinitas.
Cardiff is part of the city of Encinitas, which is governed by a five-member city council, elected at-large to staggered four-year terms at two-year intervals.
Cardiff School District
Cardiff has a school district consisting of two schools:
Cardiff Reef ("The Reef") is a popular surf spot in Cardiff that produces waves both professional and novice surfers enjoy year round. Surfing at The Reef has progressed from just a few surfers in the 1950s to become one of the most popular surfing spots in San Diego County. Cardiff Reef and nearby surf spot, Pipes, are famous for their smooth and consistent wave shape.
When the tide is low, a flat rock reef is revealed that extends 50 yards from shore. Exploring these tide pools is a popular activity for visitors of Cardiff.
According to the 2010 Census, Cardiff-by-the-Sea is 72% white, 20% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American and 4% Other 
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Mark Allen, former professional triathlete
- Scott Eastwood, actor
- Jon Foreman, singer/guitarist for Switchfoot
- Lyn-Z Adams Hawkins, professional skateboarder
- Chalmers Johnson, historian and author of the Blowback trilogy
- Jonathan Jones, singer for the bands Waking Ashland and We Shot the Moon
- Frances Lee, silent film actress
- Rob Machado, professional surfer
- Kirk McCaskill, retired major league baseball pitcher
- Emily Ratajkowski, actress
- Lukas Gage, actor
- Marion Ross, actress
- Darren Hardy, publisher of Success Magazine
- Bob Haro, former freestyle BMX rider turned artist and business executive. He is the founder of Haro Bikes and was one of the most important early innovators of BMX freestyle.
- John Humphreys, doubles badminton champion
- "Cardiff-by-the-Sea". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- Some Cardiff History from the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce
- Tucker, Wehtahnah; Bujkovsky, Gus. Cardiff-by-the-Sea. Arcadia Publishing SC. pp. 7, 15. ISBN 9780738569512.
- Andreen, Mike (August 16, 2011). "Tale of Incorporation: How Encinitas Became an Entity Onto Itself 25 Years Ago". Encinitas Patch. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Statewide Database". Regents of the University of California. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "California's 49th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- "Cardiff School District". Archived from the original on April 24, 2010. Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- "10 Best Surf Spots in San Diego". Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Mapping America — Census Bureau's 2005-9 American Community Survey". The New York Times. December 13, 2010.
- "IRONMAN TRIATHLON : Mark Allen Wins, Gains Confidence". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. October 8, 1990. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- CardiffByTheSea.org - Information center and chamber of commerce.
- Cardiff By The Sea Weather - Cardiff By The Sea Weather
- U.S. Census Bureau Fact Sheet for Cardiff-by-the-Sea