Cardiff railway station, New South Wales
Northbound view in July 2013
|Location||Main Road, Cardiff
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||155.08 km (96.36 mi) from Central|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Opened||14 March 1889|
|Rebuilt||8 June 1902|
Cardiff railway station is located on the Main Northern line in New South Wales, Australia. It serves the western Newcastle suburb of Cardiff, opening on 14 March 1889, relocating to its present site on 8 June 1902.
Despite being one of the busiest stations in the region, the station long had substandard facilities, in particular a lack of disabled access. There had been numerous (often contradictory) proposals to either ugrade Cardiff or relocate the station to the abandoned station at nearby Glendale, following community pressure stretching back to the 1990s.
In November 2010, work started on a series of upgrades. These improved the parking and stairs and provided wheelchair access, weather protection, and a lengthened platform capable of accommodating eight carriage trains.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Gosford & Sydney Central|||
|2||services to Hamilton (Newcastle)|||
Hunter Valley Buses operate three routes via Cardiff station:
- 262: Cameron Park to Charlestown
- 263: Cameron Park to Charlestown
- 267: West Wallsend to University of Newcastle with extended services to Newcastle station and Seahampton
Newcastle Buses operate three routes via Cardiff station:
- 334: Glendale to Newcastle station
- 339: Glendale to Charlestown
- 363; Warners Bay to Newcastle station
- Cardiff Station NSWrail.net
- Cardiff businesses demand railway station upgrade Newcastle Herald 20 May 2009
- 65m for Cardiff rail station upgrade Newcastle Herald 1 May 2010
- Work starts on access upgrade at Cardiff railway station ABC News 15 November 2010
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 5 January 2015.
- "Routes 262 and 263 timetable". Hunter Valley Buses. 20 April 2015.
- "Routes 267 and 268 timetable". Hunter Valley Buses. 20 April 2015.
- "Routes 334 and 339 timetable information" (PDF). Newcastle Buses. 17 October 2010 [Reprinted May 2014].
- "Route 363 timetable" (PDF). Newcastle Buses. 20 October 2013.