Cardinal Hayes High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Cardinal Hayes High School|
|650 Grand Concourse
New York City (The Bronx), New York 10451
|Motto||For God and Country.|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Fr. Joseph P. Tierney|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, Football, Basketball, Track and Field, Soccer, Golf, Bowling|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||City Scapes (literary magazine)|
|Dean of Studies||Carmine Torchetti|
|Dean of Discipline||Rudy Turnbull|
|Admissions Director||Craig Joseph|
|Athletic Director||John Fischer|
Cardinal Hayes High School is a Catholic high school for boys in the Concourse Village neighborhood of the Bronx, New York City. The school serves the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. It is a member of the CHSAA. It was constructed in the Art Deco style. It is named after Cardinal Patrick Joseph Hayes, a previous archbishop of (Catholic Archdiocese of) New York.
Cardinal Hayes was dedicated on September 8, 1941 by Cardinal Spellman. Cardinal Hayes' current rival is Mount Saint Michael Academy. The two schools' football teams have met annually since 1942 on Thanksgiving Day. Cardinal Hayes also takes part in non-annual football rivalries with Cardinal Spellman High School and Archbishop Stepinac High School for the Fathers' Club Trophy and the Father John Dubois Memorial Trophy, respectively.
- George Carlin, American stand-up comedian (did not graduate)
- Willie Colon, NFL Free Agent
- Don DeLillo, American author and playwright
- Jim Donohue, American Stand Up Comedian, Author
- George Dzundza, American television and film actor
- John F. Good (1936-2016; class of 1954), FBI agent who created the Abscam sting operation in the late 1970s and early 1980s which led to the arrest and conviction of several elected officials at the local, state and federal level, which was portrayed in the 2013 film American Hustle.
- Kevin Loughery, NBA player Detroit Pistons, Baltimore Bullets, player-coach Philadelphia 76ers
- Jamal Mashburn, NBA player for the Dallas Mavericks, Miami Heat, and New Orleans Hornets
- Andrew C. McCarthy, columnist and former Assistant United States Attorney
- Bernard McGuirk, Executive producer of the Imus in the Morning radio and television program
- Roscoe Orman, Actor (attended briefly)
- George Pérez, Illustrator and writer of comic books
- Regis Philbin, American television personality
- Mario Runco, Jr., U.S. astronaut and former NASA mission specialist
- Bobby Sanabria, American (Latin Jazz) drummer, percussionist, composer, arranger, educator
- Martin Scorsese, American filmmaker
- John Sweeney, President AFL-CIO 1995-2009 and recipient of the 2010 Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Jim Jones (rapper), American Rapper from the group Dipset (did not graduate)
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Archived from the original on 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- CHHS. "Cardinal Hayes High School History". Cardinal Hayes High School website. Retrieved 2009-05-28.[permanent dead link]
- Gates, Anita. "John Good, Architect of F.B.I.'s Abscam Sting Operation, Dies at 80", The New York Times, October 18, 2016. Accessed October 19, 2016. "He graduated from Cardinal Hayes High School in 1954 and received a bachelor's degree in sociology from Fordham University in 1958."