Cardinal Langley Roman Catholic High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Voluntary aided school|
|Headteacher||Mr A Bridson|
|Founders||De La Salle Brothers|
|DfE URN||105844 Tables|
|Website||Cardinal Langley RC High School|
The Cardinal Langley Roman Catholic High School is a Roman Catholic secondary school in Middleton, Greater Manchester for ages 11–18. The school is named for Thomas Langley, a 15th-century prelate who hailed from Middleton.
Cardinal Langley school is on Rochdale Road (A664), around one mile from the end of the Middleton spur of the A627(M). Hopwood Hall College and Hopwood Clough Nature Reserve are nearby to the north-west.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
It opened under the supervision of the De La Salle Brothers in September 1959 as a grammar school with the first two years, gradually increasing year by year. The second year students were drawn from existing grammar schools in the area.
In the second year of existence the building work had not been completed and hence students attended on a half day basis. It was administered by Lancashire Education Committee and by 1967 had 780 boys. In 1974, it was taken over by the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale. Since then, the number of De La Salle brothers teaching at the school reduced and by the early 1990s all Lasallian brothers had left.
It became a comprehensive in the late 1970s.
It gets GCSE results slightly above average, but at A-level it performs better, receiving the best results in Rochdale LEA.
Notable former pupils
Cardinal Langley RC Grammar School
- Maartin Allcock (b 1957), musician
- Clint Boon (b 1959), Inspiral Carpets and DJ
- Brendan Coogan (b 1970), television presenter
- Martin Coogan (b 1961), singer-songwriter, DJ
- Steve Coogan (b 1965), actor and comedian
- Paul O'Brien CBE FRS, Professor of Chemistry at the University of Manchester
- Kieran Prendiville (b 1947), television presenter, writer
- Pearce Quigley, actor
- John Richmond (b 1960), fashion designer
Cardinal Langley RC High School
- Liam Fray, (b 1985), musician The Courteeners
- Jane Hazlegrove (b 1968), actress
- Suranne Jones (b 1978), actress
- Kavana (b 1977), pop artist
- Keri-Anne Payne (b 1987) swimmer, Olympic silver medalist
- Paul Scholes (b 1974), footballer
- Laura Shields, (b 1984), model
- OFSTED school profile, ofsted.gov.uk; accessed 30 November 2015.