Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Luton
|Motto||Ex Umbris in Veritatem|
|Location||Warden Hill Road
|DfE URN||142310 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Staff||over 100 staff, 30+ support|
Cardinal Newman Catholic School is a Roman Catholic secondary school that caters for pupils aged between 11 and 18, located in the Warden Hills area of Bedfordshire, England. Opened in September 1968, the current head is Mr Richardson, with the deputy heads being Fleur Musonda and Lucy Whelan. There are currently over 1500 students on roll. The school is named after a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, John Henry Newman.
As the only Roman Catholic secondary school in the whole of Luton, the school is constantly oversubscribed with over 400 applicants yearly, yet with 242 places to offer. Cardinal Newman is also the only secondary school in Luton to have its own Sixth Form BTEC campus, and this has over 150 places to offer students from both inside and outside the school.
School life and Tutors.
The school has ten Tutors; Wiseman, Hinsley, Manning, Vaughan, Godfrey, Griffin, Heenan, Hume, Acton and Bourne. The tutors are named after Cardinals.
Specialisms and academy status
The school has previously acquired Specialist Science Status with Mathematics. This award has given the school funding to build and complete a new sixth form and science block extension, install a new computer and server network across the whole school, install brand new equipment including SMART Boards in many classrooms, purchase new equipment in many departments, especially in math and science and the renovation of certain areas of the school site including the PE block. Despite the specialist schools programme ending, the school continues to offer science and mathematics as specialisms.
Its last OFSTED report gave the school an excellent feedback, including talking about the 'good quality of the teaching in lessons' and the 'very good management and leadership in the school'. Main areas for improvement included the ICT Provision and the induction process of new students. These areas and others, are currently being addressed and substantially improved with the help of funding and support from the feeder schools and the board of governors.[permanent dead link].
The School motto is Ex Umbris in Veritatem, which means "Out of shadows and into truth" or more commonly "Out of darkness and into light" and the School's Mission Statement is "Together towards our Lord, through learning, love and faith with Christ in all we do"
Notable former pupils
There have been several famous people that have attended Cardinal Newman and this includes:
- Janoi Donacien , Left back at Accrington Stanley F.C. Is also an Ex footballer at Aston Villa
- Cliff McNish, author.
- Kevin Blackwell, Ex Luton Town Football Club Manager.
- Kingsley Black, ex Luton Town Football Club player.
- Gary Doherty has played for Tottenham Hotspur and is currently at Charlton Athletic football club.
- Kevin Foley, currently plays for Wolves Football Club.
- Giles Scanlon, plays Floss in popular children's TV show, The Dumping Ground.
- Liam George, footballer.
- Keith Keane, currently plays for Preston North End Football Club.
- Conor Travers, the youngest Countdown champion winning at the age of 14 years studied for his GCSE's and then moved to do his A levels at Luton Sixth Form College.
- "Conor crowned Countdown champ". 5 March 2013. Retrieved 26 April 2013.