|Fate||Acquired by United Bank|
|Bernard H. Clineburg CEO
Mark A. Wendel, EVP, CFO
|Revenue||US$153.478 million (2016)|
|US$50.491 million (2016)|
|Total assets||US$4.210 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||US$452.177 million (2016)|
Number of employees
Cardinal Bank was a bank headquartered in McLean, Virginia that operated in Northern Virginia. It was a subsidiary of Cardinal Financial Corporation. It operated 3 business segments: commercial banking, mortgages, and wealth management services. In 2017, Cardinal was acquired by United Bank.
In June 1998, the bank's first branch in McLean.
In July 1998, Cardinal Financial sold 2.6 million shares of stock at an initial price of $10/share.
In 1999, Cardinal Financial Services began operating Cardinal Wealth Services as its investment advisory subsidiary.
In July 2000, Cardinal Financial purchased Heritage Bancorp of Fairfax for $13.8 million.
Cardinal Financial struggled during its first five years of operations, losing a total of $24 million over that time. The complicated administrative structure needed to support its community bank model severely affected the company's profitability.
To remedy the company's ills, Rust recruited former George Mason Bank CEO Bernard H. Clineburg to run Cardinal Financial in the summer of 2001. Clineburg took over as CEO in October 2001, following the resignation of founding CEO L. Burwell Gunn.
Clineburg immediately collapsed the company's four banking units into one and laid off 33 of the bank's 135 employees. Cardinal also took a $8.3 million write-off on the 2000 purchase of Heritage Bancorp and a $1.7 million loss on a corporate bond from Worldcom.
In May 2002, Cardinal raised another $18.5 million with a stock sale priced at $3.50 per share.
In May 2009, Cardinal Financial raised $31 million with the sale of 4 million shares of stock at $7.75 each.
In April 2010, the company launched a middle school bank in Fairfax, County, Virginia.
- Cardinal Financial Corporation 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- "United Bankshares, Inc. Completes Its Acquisition of Cardinal Financial Corporation" (Press release). Business Wire. April 24, 2017.
- CARDINAL FINANCIAL CORPORATION Form SB-2 May 8, 1998
- Bredemeier, Kenneth (August 25, 2003). "Rescuing Cardinal Bank Took Some Expert Help". The Washington Post.
- Cardinal Financial Corporation 2004 Form 10-K Annual Report
- "Around the Region". The Washington Post. July 31, 2000.
- "Cardinal Financial Corporation Completes Acquisition of George Mason Mortgage, LLC" (Press release). Business Wire. July 8, 2004.
- Term Sheet - Cardinal Financial Corporation - 4,000,000 Shares of Common Stock - May 21, 2009
- "Cardinal Bank Launches First Middle School Bank In Fairfax County, Virginia" (Press release). Business Wire. April 19, 2010.
- Douglas, Danielle (May 14, 2012). "DOJ ends investigation of Cardinal Bank". The Washington Post.
- Steinberg, Dan (October 11, 2012). "Cardinal Bank revises Metro ad". The Washington Post.
- "Cardinal Financial Corporation Completes Acquisition of United Financial Banking Companies, Inc." (Press release). Business Wire. January 16, 2014.
- Clabaugh, Jeff (January 16, 2014). "Cardinal Bank completes Business Bank acquisition". American City Business Journals.
- Medici, Andy (April 24, 2017). "Greater Washington's biggest bank deal in recent memory is finally complete". American City Business Journals.