Cardom 120 mm recoil mortar system
|Type||Recoil mortar system|
|Used by||US army, IDF, NATO forces and more|
The Cardom "Hatchet", is an Israeli 81mm/120mm Recoil Mortar System (RMS), manufactured by Soltam Systems. It is used by the US Army, the Israeli Defence Force, NATO countries, and others. The Cardom is an autonomous, computerized system for mounting on light and medium armored carriers. The system provides accurate and effective fire support.
The system uses a new Computerized Integrated Navigation and Self Positioning and Aiming systems. Its modern Target Acquisition Devices together with a specially designed Recoiling Mortar System, attenuates the firing loads and enables mounting the systems on wheeled and tracked AFV's, or even soft-skinned vehicles such as trucks. The CARDOM Aiming mechanisms are linked to state-of-the-art command, control and communication systems, to achieve quick response automatic laying mode. The IDF delivered Cardom system takes target acquisition data, that provides range, bearing, position and other data from an observation point and transmits it directly to the Cardom system. Using electrical servo motors the mortar barrel is then set at the exact traverse and elevation angles ready for firing.
The 120 mm Cardom has a burst rate of 16 rpm, followed by a 4 rpm sustained rate of fire. The Cardom Recoil Mortar System has been qualified for fielding with the 3rd US Army Stryker brigade, and will be coupled to the US Army's M95 Mortar Fire Control System. So far over 320 mortar systems have been manufactured for the U.S. Army.
- Range:7,000-8,000 meter
- Calibre: 120/81mm smoothbore and rifled
- Max rate of fire : 16 rounds per minute
- Traverse (deg) : 360
- Shoot of first round: less than 30 sec
- Crew : 2-4 dependent on carrier
- Dual mode : mounted and dismounted
- M1129 Mortar Carrier
- Soltam 120mm mortar system
- Soltam 155mm mobile Howitzer
- Light-weight Combat Vehicle (LCV) System
- Mortars on the move (Report). Armada International. August 3, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Elbit Systems to supply Israeli Army with Cardom mortar systems for approximately $40 million". Army Recignition. September 20, 2011. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- "Elbit Systems to supply Israeli Ministry of Defense with Cardom 120mm mortar artillery". Army Recignition. January 7, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Elbit Systems won contract to supply CARDOM 81 mm autonomous recoil mortar for Spanish Army". Army Recignition. October 31, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- "SOLTAM 120 mm Mortar - Mortar systems" (PDF). elbitsystems.com. 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "SOLTAM 81 mm Mortar - Mortar systems" (PDF). elbitsystems.com. 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Mortar systems". elbitsystems.com. 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Keshet self-propelled mortar.|