Cardona from the air
|• Mayor||Ferran Estruch Torrents (2015)|
|• Total||66.7 km2 (25.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||506 m (1,660 ft)|
|• Density||74/km2 (190/sq mi)|
Cardona is a town ìn Catalonia, Spain, in the province of Barcelona; about 90 km (56 mi) northwest of the city of Barcelona, on a hill almost surrounded by the river Cardener, a branch of the Llobregat. To the east of the town, the river has been diverted through a tunnel has been dug through a spur, leaving a loop of dry river bed near the saltmine.
Near the town is an extensive deposit of rock salt. The salt forms a mountain mass (called Muntanya de Sal) covered by a thick bed of a reddish-brown clay, and apparently resting on a yellowish-grey sandstone. It is generally more or less translucent, and large masses of it are quite transparent. The hill has been worked like a mine since Roman times; pieces cut from it have been carved by artists in Cardona into images, crucifixes and many articles of an ornamental kind.
- The Castle of Cardona, which is set high on a hill and contains a Parador hotel.
- The 14th-century Romanesque Church of St. Vincenç.
- The Church of Sant Miquel, built in the 11th century and rebuilt in the 14th century in Gothic style. It houses a precious polyptych by Pere Vall, depicting St. Anne, the Virgin and St. Amador, and a 15th-century baptismal font.
- Caramelles: The Sunday of Passover
- Mercat de la ganga: The first Sunday of February
- Fira de Pentecostés: The first Sunday of June
- Fira de la Llenega: The last Sunday of October
- Festa Major: The second last weekend in September
- Aplec de Cardona: 18 September
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Pedrosa, Andreu (2001). The Castle of Cardona. Sant Vincenç de Castellet: Farell. ISBN 84-930418-8-2
- Panareda Clopés, Josep Maria; Rios Calvet, Jaume; Rabella Vives, Josep Maria (1989). Guia de Catalunya, Barcelona:Caixa de Catalunya. ISBN 84-87135-01-3 (Spanish). ISBN 84-87135-02-1 (Catalan).
- Official site (in Catalan)
- Associació Cultural El Mercat del Blat (Cultural Association of Cardona)
- Associació Cultural 18 de Setembre (Cultural Association of Cardona)
- Government data pages (in Catalan)