Type of site
|Social networking, petitioning site|
|Headquarters||Redwood City, California, United States|
|Slogan(s)||"Make a Difference"|
|Alexa rank||15,876 (January 2018[update])|
|Registration||Optional (required for creating petitions)|
|Users||40 million |
Care2 is a social networking website that was founded by Randy Paynter in 1998. The goal of the site is to connect activists from around the world with other individuals, organizations and responsible businesses making an impact.
Care2 members create an online identity by filling out a profile with personal information, as in most social networking sites, but Care2 also asks for more information about its members' personal lives and involvement in activism. The social interactions on Care2 revolve around groups that connect people who care about similar political and environmental issues. Members also often participate in internet petitions and news articles posted by others.
Care2 has been used throughout the years to combat, through petitions, political, environmental and civil rights issues. Recently, Care2 was used by Broadway theatre playwrights and actors to petition Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Care2 is regularly used to promote Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel.
On December 28, 2011, hackers attacked, breached and accessed unencrypted password data on Care2 servers.
- "Care2 Alexa Ranking". Alexa Internet. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- Roberts, Lee (March 7, 2007). "Spreading Their Gospel on the Web". nytimes.com. The New York Times.
- Kennedy, Mark (Apr 2, 2015). "Broadway Takes Aim at Contested Indiana Law With a Petition". abcnews.go.com. ABC News. Retrieved Apr 3, 2015.
- "Reviewing Trashy Hasbara Against BDS". Aug 3, 2015.
- Paynter, Randy (December 28, 2011). "To All Care2 Members – Security Breach". care2.com. Care2.