CareConfidential is a charity which provides information and counselling independent of the NHS on pregnancy choices, and post-abortion support. They do this through their website, helpline and online chat. Information on their website and leaflets has been certified by the information Standard. They formerly supported a network of crisis pregnancy centers, but as of 2014, no longer do so. CareConfidential was founded as a programme of the pro-life organisation Christian Action Research and Education (CARE), and became an independent charity in 2011. Since becoming independent CareConfidential do not explicitly state whether they are pro-life or pro-choice but seek to acknowledge the freedom of choice, respecting all clients' decisions.
Investigations by BBC Newsnight and by the pro-choice charity Education for Choice found that false medical information about the supposed physical and mental health risks of abortion was given during counselling at some centres affiliated with CareConfidential and that the counselling was not impartial, with counsellors pushing women to carry their pregnancies to term. Other centres were impartial, offering clients the time, space and accurate information to talk though their choices. An investigation by the Daily Mail noted that although some counsellors might have received training and accreditation, there is no legal requirement for counsellors to have any credentials at all.
- Ben Quinn (2011-08-02). "Abortion: pregnancy counselling centres found wanting | Life and style". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- NHS. "Service Directories Pregnancy Termination". NHS. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- NHS. "Abortion". nhs.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Information Standard website home page". Informationstandard.org. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "CareConfidential Online - Pregnancy and Abortion Counselling". Careconfidential.com. Archived from the original on 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- Ben Quinn (2011-08-28). "Christian activists poised to win concessions on abortion after 40 years | World news". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- CareConfidential. "The new CareConfidential (September 2011 Newsletter)". careconfidential.com. Archived from the original on 2013-12-14. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "CareConfidential About Us page". careconfidential.com. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- "Newsnight - Can abortion advice be independent and impartial?". BBC News. 2011-08-31. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- Jenny Stocks (2011-08-30). "Abortion: Mail writer's investigation into counselling services poses disturbing questions | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|