Carey Baptist Church
|Carey Baptist Church|
Carey Baptist Church, front facade
Notable past elders include Rev. Theodore Harold Bendor-Samuel.
Additional premises, The Carey Centre, in Anstey Road (a parallel road behind the chapel) were acquired in 1993, following the closure of Central Evangelical Church.
As of June 2009, Carey Baptist Church now owns part of what was the Oasis Public House.
The current pastors are James Muldoon and David Magowan. Jamie Cater joined as assistant pastor in April 2007 and as of January 2009 has now been appointed position of Church Evangelist, a role which entails overseeing the outreach and evangelistic work of the church. Jonathan Stephen left the church on 16 July 2006 to take up the position of principal of the Wales Evangelical School of Theology in September 2006, while Basil Howlett retired from the position of co-pastor in January 2009.
The church continues to work in the tradition of William Carey by sending missionaries abroad to India  and the Amazon. In 2005 a missionary from Carey, David Barnes, was serving in Aysana, a small village, about five hours down river from Iquitos, Peru.
Ian Stillman, a deaf missionary sent to India by Carey Baptist, was arrested in August 2000 and charged with smuggling 20 kilograms of cannabis after the drug was found in a shared taxi. It is widely believed that the charges were fabricated. Parliament "pa(id) tribute" to Carey Baptist on the successful campaign to obtain Stillman's release from prison.
- Carey Baptist Church, Reading, Find a Church, UK.
-  Churches named for William Carey, webpage of William Carey University, accessed May 11, 2011.
- [permanent dead link] Theodore Bendor-Samuel, April 1998, Evangelical Times
- "Praying that Ian will be freed", January 14, 2002, GET Workingham newspaper.
- Sermons, Carey Baptist Church, Reading, UK.
- "Minister set to move on to pastures new," 5 August 2009, Whitby Gazette.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-09. Retrieved 2011-05-11. Rev. C. Jonathan Stephen, Principal, faculty page, Wales Evangelical School of Theology, accessed may 11, 2011.
- "Stillman hearing challenged," Jan. 25, 2002, Church Times.
- "Can you help fill a shoebox?, August 26, 2005, Get Surrey newspaper.
-  "Early day motion 321." Dec 9, 2002, Parliament of the United Kingdom.