February 11, 1961 |
Huntington, New York, U.S.
|Education||Bear Creek High School|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado at Boulder
New York University
|Spouse(s)||John Stember (m. 1984–88)
Griffin Dunne (m. 1989–95)
Richard Gere (m. 2002; separated 2013)
Lowell was born in Huntington, New York, the daughter of geologist James Lowell. She spent much of her childhood living in locales including Libya, the Netherlands, France, and in the US, in Houston, Texas and Denver, Colorado, where her family settled when she was 12. After a year at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where she majored in literature, she moved to New York City to pursue modeling, and modeled for such clients as Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein, and at some unspecified time attended New York University. She also studied at Manhattan's Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre.
Lowell broke into acting in the film Dangerously Close followed by a small role in the Robin Williams movie Club Paradise. She went on to roles including those of Bond girl Pam Bouvier in the James Bond movie Licence to Kill (1989) and, starting in 1996, Assistant District Attorney Jamie Ross on the television drama Law & Order, a character she reprised in 2005 for a guest role on its spinoff, Law & Order: Trial by Jury. Immediately before that role, however, she had become frustrated with her acting career and had applied to study documentary filmmaking at New York University.
- Dangerously Close (1986) ... Julie
- Club Paradise (1986) ... Fashion Model
- Down Twisted (1987) ... Maxine
- Me and Him (1989) ... Janet Anderson
- Licence to Kill (1989) ... Pam Bouvier
- The Guardian (1990) ... Kate
- Road to Ruin (1991) ... Jessie Tailor
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993) ... Maggie Baldwin
- Love Affair (1994) ... Martha
- Leaving Las Vegas (1995) ... Bank Teller
- Duke of Groove (1996) TV Movie
- Fierce Creatures (1997) ... Cub Felines
- Big Apple (2001)
- More Than Meets the Eye: The Joan Brock Story (2003) TV Movie ... Joan Brock
- Law & Order (49 episodes, 1996–2001) ... Jamie Ross
- Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005) ... Jamie Ross (2 episodes)
- Empire Falls (2005) ... Francine (40 years)
- Six Degrees (2006–2007) ... Christine Caseman
- 007 Legends (2012) ... Pam Bouvier (voice-over)
- "Carey Lowell Biography (1961-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013. Note: Source gives birthplace as "New York, NY (some sources say Huntington, NY)," but few if any sources corroborate this.
- Jewel, Dan (February 21, 2000). "Role Change". People. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Carey Lowell (Assistant DA Jamie Ross, 1996-1998)". Law & Order official site (TNT). Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Gerston, Jill (December 21, 1997). "A Cupcake Grows Into One Tough Cookie". The New York Times. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Carey Lowell". Rovi via The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Carey Lowell Guest Stars on NBC's "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," Friday April 8th, 10pm ET/PT" (Press release). NBC via TheFutonCritic.com. April 6, 2005. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Billups, Andrea (September 25, 2013). "Richard Gere and Carey Lowell Split After 11 Years of Marriage". People Magazine. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Bucktin, Christopher (September 25, 2013). "Richard Gere and Carey Lowell to divorce after 'growing apart due to different lifestyles'". Mirror. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (November 15, 2002). "Passages: Gere, Lowell Get Married". People. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carey Lowell.|
- Carey Lowell at the Internet Movie Database
- Carey Lowell at AllMovie
- Courrier, Kevin; Green, Susan (1999). Law & Order: The Unofficial Companion — Updated and Expanded. Renaissance Books; 2nd edition. p. 135–136. ISBN 978-1580631082.