Cargill Meat Solutions
Cargill Meat Solutions is a division of Cargill Inc. that comprises the company's North American beef, turkey, foodservice and food distribution businesses. The corporate office is located in Wichita, Kansas, United States. Jody Horner is the division's president.
Cargill Meat Solutions' history can be traced to 1936, when Excel Packing Company was formed in Chicago. In 1941, the business moved to Wichita. In 1970, Excel was incorporated as Kansas Beef Industries. In 1974, Kansas Beef Industries merged with Missouri Beef Packers and the company was renamed MBPXL, reflecting the merged entities -- MBP for Missouri Beef Packers and XL for Kansas Beef Industries' original name, Excel. Cargill acquired MBPXL in 1979, and the company's name was changed to Excel in 1982. In 1983, Excel purchased Spencer Beef from Land O'Lakes, adding plants in Spencer, Iowa, Oakland, Iowa, and Schuyler, Nebraska. In 1987, Excel entered the pork processing business when it acquired plants from Hormel in Ottumwa, Iowa, and Oscar Mayer in Beardstown, Illinois. In 2001, Excel purchased Emmpak Foods, a maker of cooked meats, deli meats, frozen hamburger patties and case-ready ground beef.
In 2004, the division's name was changed from Excel to Cargill Meat Solutions. In 2005, Cargill brought back the Excel name as a brand for the division's "everyday" meat product line. In July 2015, Cargill announced it was selling its U.S. pork processing business to JBS USA for $1.45 billion.
- Angus Pride (beef)
- Circle T Beef (beef)
- Excel (beef, pork)
- Good Nature (pork)
- Honeysuckle White (poultry)
- Mead lowland Farms (beef)
- Preferred Angus (beef)
- Ranchers Registry Angus (beef)
- Rumba (beef, pork)
- Shady Brook Farms (poultry)
- Sterling Silver (beef, pork)
- Stoneside (pork)
- Tender Choice (pork)
- Tender Ridge Angus (beef)
- Valley Tradition (beef)
- Roy, Bill (2012-12-03). "Newsmakers — Jody Horner, Cargill Meat Solutions". Wichita Business Journal. Archived from the original on 2013-11-08. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Excel History". ExcelMeats.com. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Lucht, Gene (June 20, 1983). "What's next? Spencer Beef sale will bring changes, but not right away". Spencer Daily Reporter. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "Sale of Emmpak Foods completed". Milwaukee Business Journal. August 23, 2001. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "Excel name change to Cargill Meat Solutions". Amarillo Globe-News. September 16, 2004. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Vandruff, Ken (October 20, 2005). "Cargill Meat Solutions revives Excel brand". Wichita Business Journal. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Freese, Betsy (July 10, 2015). "Cargill Pork's Trek Through Modern Pig Business". Successful Farming. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- 2 Local Children Infected With E. Coli
- Woman hospitalized with E. coli sues Emmpak
|This meat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|