Cari Guittard is a former U.S. State Department official, founding principal at Global Engagement Partners (GEP), co-founder and Chief Diplomacy Officer of World Citizens Guide, a travel and cultural guide for Americans traveling abroad. She is also a strategy advisor for Lighthouse Communications and an adjunct professor for the University of Southern California Annenberg School and the Hult International Business School.
From 2001 to 2003, Guittard served as Special Assistant to the Undersecretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs at the US Department of State, where she previously served as a cybersecurity expert and department spokesperson. She also advised former Secretary of State Colin Powell. At the State Department, Guittard oversaw cyber threat and infrastructure assessments in the Middle East, Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America. She also taught cyber-terrorism and infrastructure protection seminars at government educational facilities, including the Marine Corps Base Quantico and the Naval War College.
Guittard is Chief Diplomacy Officer at World Citizens Guide, a travel and cultural guide for Americans traveling abroad, of which she is also a co-founder. She is also a facilitator and strategy advisor for Lighthouse Communications, where she facilitates seminars on negotiation, gender intelligence, and strategic influence.
She was previously Chief Strategy Officer at Secure Mentem, a cybersecurity consulting firm. Guittard was also the Executive Director of Business for Diplomatic Action, an organization engaging and guiding corporations in a variety of global affairs and public diplomacy activities, which was selected in 2010 to work on the U.S. State Department's global entrepreneurial outreach initiative.
Guittard is a founding principal at Global Engagement Partners (GEP), a strategic communications firm focused on corporate diplomacy, global engagement, intelligence, diversity and inclusion.
Guittard is a senior associate and ambassador for Gender Intelligence Group, an organization that advocates for gender parity in business, government, and education.
She also teaches courses in Corporate Diplomacy & Geopolitics at the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, and in International Negotiations and Women’s Leadership at the Hult International Business School.
Awards and Recognition
Guittard was named one of San Francisco Magazine’s “Hot 20 Under 40” in 2007, part of a list of emerging leaders in the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1998, she received the Presidential Management Fellowship. She has been awarded the Hall of Heroes Award by the MBA Women International Conference, which recognizes work to advance women's representation in leadership roles. In 2009, Guittard was selected by California's then-Lt. Governor John Garamendi to join his business delegation to China.
Guittard has written for the Huffington Post on topics including global citizenship, private and public sector leadership, entrepreneurship, and gender equality. She has appeared in numerous media and radio outlets, including the Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN, Fox News, and the BBC.
- "Cari E. Guittard | HuffPost". www.huffpost.com. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "World Citizens Guide – Welcome, World Citizen". Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Our Team – Lighthouse Communications". Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Thought Leaders". WiRL - Leadership Summit. 2013-11-21. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "International Business School Faculty | Hult". Hult Business School. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Take note when women of talent leave workforce". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Cari Guittard". Secure Mentem | Changing Employee Behaviors, Not Just Checking the Box. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Business for Diplomatic Action & The National Business Travel Association Join Forces to Coach Corporate Travel Pros on World Citizenship". www.businesswire.com. 2005-04-27. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Barbara Annis & Associates - The Premier Leader in Gender Intelligence". Gender Intelligence Group. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Cari E. Guittard | Pacific Council on International Policy". www.pacificcouncil.org. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Cari Guittard - Profile About Page". www.td.org. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Cari Guittard, Professor of Global Management at Hult, Named Hall of Heroes Winner Hult Blog". Hult Blog. 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- Guittard, Cari E.; Diplomat, ContributorCorporate; Professor; Citizen, Global (2017-12-18). "Mentors matter: Here's the right way to find yours". HuffPost. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- Guittard, Cari E.; Diplomat, ContributorCorporate; Professor; Citizen, Global (2017-08-19). "The One Book Every American Should Read ASAP". HuffPost. Retrieved 2019-08-08.