|Studio album by John Cale|
|Recorded||Right Track Recording, New York City, United States|
|John Cale chronology|
The cover photograph was by Risé Cale.
"Villa Albani" was released as a 12" single in Germany. "Caribbean Sunset" was issued as a promo 7" in the UK.
Caribbean Sunset was slated to finally be issued on CD in 2001, with bonus tracks "She Never Took No for an Answer" and an instrumental version of "Villa Albani", but the release was scrapped at the last minute for unknown reasons. To date, the album remains unavailable on CD or MP3 though an unauthorised download was available for a brief period from ZE Records.
Stewart Mason at AllMusic panned the album, calling it "something of a mess. The songs are among the poppiest of Cale's career, and one gets the sense that it's meant to be Cale's attempt at a straight-up pop album, especially given the Jimmy Buffett-like title and cover photo." Trouser Press called it his "least interesting album to date".
All tracks composed by John Cale, except where indicated.
- Side A
- "Hungry for Love" (Cale, Dave Young)
- "Experiment Number 1"
- "Model Beirut Recital" (Cale, Dave Young)
- "Caribbean Sunset" (Cale, Larry Sloman)
- Side B
- "Praetorian Underground" (Cale, Dave Young)
- "Magazines" (Cale, Dave Young)
- "Where There's a Will" (Cale, Larry Sloman)
- "The Hunt" (Cale, Dave Young)
- "Villa Albani"
- John Cale – vocals, keyboards, guitar
- Brian Eno – A.M.S. pitch changer (effects)
- Andy Heermans – bass, vocals
- David Lichtenstein – drums, boobams
- Dave Young – guitar, vocals
- Rob O'Connor - sleeve design
- Risé Cale - cover photogtaphy
- Mason, Stewart. "Caribbean Sunset – John Cale | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Fear is a Man's Best Friend - John Cale fan page article: "Caribbean Sunset."
- Grant, Steven; Sheridan, David; Robbins, Ira. "TrouserPress.com :: John Cale". TrouserPress.com. Retrieved July 5, 2016.