Logo since 2010
|Industry||Retail Coffee and Tea|
|Founded||December 14, 1992|
Edina, Minnesota, United States
|Headquarters||Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, U.S.,|
|John Butcher, President & CEO|
Number of employees
|Parent||JAB Holding Company|
Caribou Coffee founder, John Puckett, was working as a management consultant for Boston-based firm Bain & Company, helping develop ideas and strategies for other companies, when he decided he wanted to become an entrepreneur. After a trip to Denali National Park in Alaska, he and his wife, Kim, decided to raise money and start a coffee company. His wife stayed with a job at General Motors while John moved to Minnesota to find the first site and put together financing.
The initial concept for Caribou was a five-day-a-week schedule aimed at downtown office workers, mimicking what worked in Boston. Puckett signed a lease for the first location to be in the large Pillsbury Center office building. However, soon afterward the building's landlord decided not to sign the lease, because another of the building's retail tenants had exclusive rights to selling coffee in the building and had threatened to sue them. As a result, the financing for the store fell through because it was dependent on that specific site. Puckett opted to start looking for an available location in the suburbs, and the first Caribou Coffee shop was started in Edina, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis, in December 1992.
In 2006 Arcapita (formerly known as First Islamic Investment Bank) was Caribou Coffee's majority shareholder. In 2002, Yusuf al-Qaradawi's involvement with the bank led to a protest of Caribou Coffee. That same year al-Qaradawi stepped down as chairman of the bank's Sharia Board.
In May 2013, Caribou Coffee announced plans to close 80 stores in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, Illinois and Eastern Wisconsin, with 88 others in those locations to be converted to Peet's Coffee & Tea during 2013-2014. Caribou locations would remain open in California, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and ten international markets.
On December 20, 2018, the company notified its customers of a potential data breach that they discovered in late November of that same year. The breach also affected other companies owned by JAB Holding Company, namely Bruegger's and Coffee and Bagels, and included the release of credit card numbers and CVV codes.
- "Company Profile for Caribou Coffee Co Inc (CBOU)". Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Company Information". cariboucoffee.com.
- "Caribou Coffee K-Cups - Single Cup Boxes". kenozacoffee.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-25.
- John Vomhof Jr., Caribou founder: Knowing when to leave the corporate world and go into business for yourself, Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal, July 5, 2013, accessed July 8, 2013.
- Chamis, Eleni (April 3, 2000). "A new cup o' joe". Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- Lambrecht, Claire (November 26, 2012). "Caribou Coffee pioneer swaps espresso for pizza". Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- Caribou Coffee's majority stakeholder Arcapita's website displaying all US investments including Tensar, Cypress
- Annual Report 2000 Archived October 17, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- Islamic bank is majority owner of the Caribou Coffee chain. Snopes reports on startup problems and funding sources.
- Will Caribou's Shari'ah Affect Shares?. Communications, Southland Log Homes, Church's Chicken, Loehmann's, Cirrus Design, and many others.
- Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi: Theologian of Terror - Affiliations Archived 2006-10-16 at the Wayback Machine, Anti-Defamation League, August 1, 2005
- Shirlington Caribou Coffee to Become Peet’s Coffee, West End Alexandria Patch, May 7, 2013
- "Peet's, Caribou owner to buy former Sara Lee coffee business". Chicago Business Journal. Apr 12, 2013. Retrieved Apr 15, 2013.
- "Coffee meets bagels: Caribou Coffee to open inside Einstein Bros. Bagels".
- "Caribou, Bruegger's notify customers of possible data breach". KARE 11. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Caribou Coffee, Bruegger's Bagels say data breach exposed credit card info". Twin Cities Pioneer Press. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caribou Coffee.|