Map of Leyte with Carigara highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|District||2nd district of Leyte|
|• Mayor||Eduardo Ong|
|• Total||117.86 km2 (45.51 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)53|
|Income class||2nd municipal income class|
|Electorate||32,501 voters as of 2016|
It is a town in northern Leyte located right on the shore of Carigara Bay, and surrounded by wide rice fields fanning out towards the mountains in the distance.
- Barugohay Central
- Barugohay Norte
- Barugohay Sur
- Baybay (Pob.)
- East Visoria
- Guindapunan East
- Guindapunan West
- Jugaban (Pob.)
- Lower Hiraan
- Lower Sogod
- Ponong (Pob.)
- San Mateo (Pob.)
- Santa Fe
- Sawang (Pob.)
- Upper Hiraan
- Upper Sogod
- West Visoria
- San Juan
- Bagong Lipunan
- Rizal (Tagak East)
- San Isidro
Carigara was originally called Kangara, meaning "that of Gara" or simply "Gara's". Gara was said to have come from Borneo, one of the unnamed companions of the ten datus who landed in Panay and purchased that island from the Ati (or Aeta) chief Marikudo. Later, for phonetic convenience, Kangara became Kalgara and when the Spaniards came, they called the place Carigara; hence its present name.
Carigara has a history unique from its neighboring towns. It is the first town established in Eastern Visayas. Its town fiesta which is celebrated every 16 July, commemorates the day of the first coming of the Spaniards dated July 16, 1569. The fiesta that is celebrated almost the entire month of July was dubbed as the Fiesta of the Holy Cross.
|Population census of Carigara|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority |
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Province: Leyte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 3 August 2003. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Leyte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carigara.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Carigara.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Carigara.|
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System