Location within La Vallée-du-Richelieu RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||July 1, 1855|
|• Mayor||Patrick Marquès|
|• Federal riding||Beloeil—Chambly|
|• Prov. riding||Chambly|
|• Total||65.20 km2 (25.17 sq mi)|
|• Land||62.31 km2 (24.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||151.9/km2 (393/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2011-2016||18.8%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Carignan is a suburban town in southwestern Quebec, Canada on the Richelieu River in the Regional County Municipality of La-Vallée-du-Richelieu, located about 27 km (17 mi) from Montreal. The population as of the Canada 2016 Census was 9,462.
Carignan was originally the Village Municipality of Chambly. The village of Chambly was established in 1855, less than 10 years after the municipality of Chambly was established. In 1965, the village of Chambly was renamed Carignan and incorporated as a city.
Mother tongue language (2006)
The CIT Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan provides commuter and local bus services.
- Reference number 10732 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Carignan
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: CHAMBLY--BORDUAS (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Carignan, Quebec
- Quebec french language does not distinguish a town from a city; both are referred to a ville which is the translation for "city". Thus, Carignan was incorporated in 1965 as a city although its description fits more that of town than a city in english language usage.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Carignan, Quebec