Caritas Institute of Higher Education
|Caritas Francis Hsu College
(1985 - 2011)
|Motto||AD Destinatum Prosequor|
|Type||Approved Post Secondary College; Private|
|Established||1985 (as Caritas Francis Hsu College)
2011 (renamed as Caritas Institute of Higher Education)
|Chairperson||Cardinal John Tong Hon
(Chairperson of the Board of Governors)
|President||Dr. Kim Mak, Acting president|
|Vice-president||Mr Manhoe CHAN, Vice-president (Resources and Finance)
Dr Dennis LAW, Vice-president (Academic and Quality Assurance)
Ms Kat LEUNG, Vice-president (Administration) and Secretary
Prof Phillips WANG, Vice-president (Research and Advancement)
|Students||913 (Academic Year of 2014/15)|
|Undergraduates||494 (Academic Year of 2014/15)|
|Location||18 Chui Ling Road, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories|
|Affiliations||Caritas Hong Kong|
|Caritas Institute of Higher Education|
|Caritas Francis Hsu College|
Caritas Institute of Higher Education (Chinese: 明愛專上學院) (formerly known as Caritas Francis Hsu College; 明愛徐誠斌學院) is a post-secondary college in Hong Kong established by Caritas Hong Kong in 1985. Until 2011, the College was registered under the Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance (Cap 320) and granted degree-conferring status. It was then renamed to Caritas Institute of Higher Education as an institution authorised to issue academic awards up to academic degree level.
The institute is currently offering bachelor's degree programmes, higher diploma programmes and diploma programmes. The Institute is focused on providing study programmes for those who have fewer opportunities to pursue post-secondary education, as well as those who wish to continue their personal and professional development at any stage of their lives.
In the future, the Institute anticipates strengthening its academic structure and rigour and future plans involve forming a constituent college within the planned Saint Francis University.
AD Destinatum Prosequor
I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Phil 3:13-14)
In 1990, The College was approved by the Hong Kong Government to offer post-secondary education programmes, including three-year Professional Diploma programmes, in the discipline of Accounting Studies, Company Secretaryship and Administration, Computing Studies, and Translation and Interpretation.
In 1998, The four programmes were subsequently modified to become the four-year-Higher Diploma programmes.
In 2001, The institute was accorded the registration status as an Approved Post Secondary College.
In 2002, All higher diploma programmes and associate degree programmes were validated and accredited by the HKCAAVQ and were recognized by HKSAR government, professional associations as well as local and overseas higher education institutions.
In 2008, all higher diploma programmes and associate degree programmes were re-validated by the HKCAAVQ.
In 2011, the College registered under the Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance (Cap 320) and granted the degree-conferring status. It was then renamed as Caritas Institute of Higher Education. It started to offer bachelor's degree programme in Business Administration.
In 2012, the Institute was granted a 7,500 square metre site in Tseung Kwan O New Town, near Tiu Keng Leng Station, to build campus to expand the sector. The Institute aims to be the first Catholic University in Hong Kong.
Programmes on offer
- 5-year local bachelor's degree programme
- Bachelor of Nursing (Honours)
- 4-year local bachelor's degree programme
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Corporate Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Marketing and Event Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) (BBA) in Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Community Studies
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Psychology
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Language and Liberal Studies - Bilingual Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Language and Liberal Studies - Chinese and Philosophy
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Language and Liberal Studies - English and Communication
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Digital Entertainment
- 2-year higher diploma programme
- Higher Diploma in Accounting Studies
- Higher Diploma in Computing Studies
- Higher Diploma in Corporate Management
- Higher Diploma in Human Services
- Higher Diploma in Social Work
- Higher Diploma in Translation and Interpreting
- 1-year diploma programme
- Diploma in General Studies
- The Library houses an extensive collection of books, journals, reference materials and audiovisual materials. The Library also subscribes to a number of full-text and bibliographic databases.
- The Language Centre offers flexible ways for students to increase their language proficiency. The Centre organizes Language Enhancement Courses/Activities on a regular basis. The Centre contains self-access learning materials in English, Chinese (Putonghua and Cantonese) and Japanese at elementary, intermediate and advanced levels.
- The Information Technology Services Centre develops and provides computing support and applications for both teachers and students, Self-access computer laboratories are available.
- Recreational facilities include basket court, badminton court, Student Common Room, activity room, etc.
Remarks: Some facilities are shared with Caritas Bianchi College of Careers.
In 2012, Caritas Institute of Higher Education had been granted a 7,500 square metre site in Tseung Kwan O town, near Tiu Keng Leng MTR station to expand the sector. This construction project is expected to be completed in 2016. In the long run, the Institute anticipates strengthening its academic structure and rigour and aims for further development in the direction of a constituent college of a Saint Francis University.