||Look up Carl in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Carl is a North Germanic male name meaning "strong man" or "free man". The name originates in Scandinavia. The name equates royal status, it is the first name of many Kings of Sweden including Carl XVI Gustaf. It is popular in Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden and largely popularized in the United States by Scandinavian descendants. Karl is a Germanic spelling very popular in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and popularized by German speaking descendants in the USA; Anglo-Saxon-Frankish variant Charles popular in Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, the UK and the United States; Carlo variant name very popular in Italy and southern Switzerland; Carlos variant name very popular in Spain and Hispanic Latin America. Karol variant name in Poland and Slovakia.
List of people named Carl
- (most other Swedish and Norwegian royalty so named - see Carl of Sweden! - are listed on English Wikipedia as Charles)
Carl as a family name
- Christian Thomsen Carl (1676-1713), Danish navy officer. Middle name also given as Thomasen, Thomesen, Thomasen, or Thomesen.
Carl as a given name
- Carl Ballantine (1917-2009), American actor
- Carl Barks
- Carl Barât
- Carl Bildt
- Carl L. Boeckmann
- Carl Brashear, U.S. Navy Master Diver
- Carl Byrum, American football player
- Carl Caldenius, Swedish geologist
- Carl Cohen (1913-1986), American gambling executive and Las Vegas casino manager
- Carl Cohen (b. 1931), Professor of Philosophy at the University of Michigan, philosopher, and animal rights activist
- Carl Colpaert
- Carl Edwards
- Carl Fodor
- Carl Fogarty
- Carl Froch
- Carl Garrigus, American football player
- Carl Friedrich Gauss
- Carl Grubert
- Carl Gunnarsson, Swedish ice hockey player
- Carl August Hagberg, Swedish linguist
- Carl Icahn, American Businessman
- Carl Jenkinson, Football (soccer) player
- Carl Jung (1875-1961), Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist, founder of analytical psychology
- Carl Karcher
- Carl Kasell, American radio personality
- Carl Kennedy
- Carl Lewis
- Carl Linnaeus (Carl von Linné)
- Carl Marino, actor and former deputy sheriff
- Carl Menger, Austrian economist
- Carl Oliver (born 1969), Bahamian sprinter and Olympic medallist
- Carl Orff
- Carl Panzram, American criminal
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
- Carl Pursell, American politician
- Carl Reiner, American actor, director, and comedian
- Carl Rogers, American psychologist and psychotherapist
- Carl Sagan
- Carl Sandburg
- Carl Schueler, American race walker
- Carl Söderberg, Swedish ice hockey player
- Carl Heinrich Stratz, German-Russian gynecologist
- Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, American actor and singer, best known as "Alfalfa" from the Our Gang (Little Rascals) comedy shorts
- Carl Valeri
- Carl Maria von Weber
- Carl Weathers
- Carl Wieland
- Carl Wilson
- Carl Yastrzemski
- Carl Zeiss
- Carl Czerny, Pianist
- Carl Kolchak, a character from Kolchak: The Night Stalker
- Carl Brutananadilewski, a character from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Carl Carlson, a character from The Simpsons
- Carl Fredricksen, a character from Disney-Pixar's Up (2009 film)
- Carl "CJ" Johnson, a character in the Grand Theft Auto video game series
- Carl Grimes, a notoriously elusive character from the comic/TV series The Walking Dead
- Carl Denham, a character from the 1933 film King Kong and its 2005 remake
- Carl Hamilton, a Swedish secret agent of novels by Jan Guillou.
- Carl Wheezer, a character from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Carl Winslow, a character from the TV series Family Matters
- Carl Bentley, a character from the 1995 film Jumanji
- Carl Elias, a recurring antagonist from The Science fiction drama Persons of interest.
- Carl Clover, a playable character in the Blazblue fighting game series.
The are several derivations of the surname Carl, most of them originating as "son of Carl":
Many of these are in reference to Charlemagne. Carolina is named for Charles II of England.