||many, see text
||Look up Carl in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Carl is a popular variant of the name Charles. The name originates from the Anglo-Saxon language, and is still one of the most popular names in Germany and Sweden. The name has status as a Royal name in Sweden and the first name of the current Sweden's King.
List of people named Carl
- (most other Swedish and Norwegian royalty so named - see Carl of Sweden! - are listed on English Wikipedia as Charles)
Carl as a family name
- Christian Thomsen Carl (1676-1713), Danish navy officer. Middle name also given as Thomasen, Thomesen, Thomasen, or Thomesen.
Carl as a given name
- Carl Ballantine (1917-2009), American actor
- Carl Barks
- Carl Barât
- Carl Bildt
- Carl L. Boeckmann
- Carl Brashear, U.S. Navy Master Diver
- Carl Caldenius, Swedish geologist
- Carl Cohen (1913-1986), American gambling executive and Las Vegas casino manager
- Carl Cohen (b. 1931), Professor of Philosophy at the University of Michigan, philosopher, and animal rights activist
- Carl Colpaert
- Carl Edwards
- Carl Fodor
- Carl Fogarty
- Carl Froch
- Carl Garrigus, American football player
- Carl Friedrich Gauss
- Carl Grubert
- Carl Gunnarsson, Swedish hockey player
- Carl August Hagberg, Swedish linguist
- Carl Icahn, American Businessman
- Carl Jenkinson, Football (soccer) player
- Carl Jung (1875-1961), Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist, founder of analytical psychology
- Carl Karcher
- Carl Kasell, American radio personality
- Carl Kennedy
- Carl Lewis
- Carl Linnaeus (Carl von Linné)
- Carl Marino, actor and former deputy sheriff
- Carl Menger, Austrian economist
- Carl Oliver (born 1969), Bahamian sprinter and Olympic medallist
- Carl Orff
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
- Carl Pursell, American politician
- Carl Reiner, American actor, director, and comedian
- Carl Rogers, American psychologist and psychotherapist
- Carl Sagan
- Carl Sandburg
- Carl Schueler, American race walker
- Carl Söderberg, Forward for the Boston Bruins
- Carl Heinrich Stratz, German-Russian gynecologist
- Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, American actor and singer, best known as "Alfalfa" from the Our Gang (Little Rascals) comedy shorts
- Carl Valeri
- Carl Maria von Weber
- Carl Weathers
- Carl Wieland
- Carl Wilson
- Carl Yastrzemski
- Carl Zeiss
- Carl Czerny, Pianist
- Carl Kolchak, a character from Kolchak: The Night Stalker
- Carl Brutananadilewski, a character from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Carl Carlson, a character from The Simpsons
- Carl Fredricksen, a character from Disney-Pixar's Up (2009 film)
- Carl "CJ" Johnson, a character in the Grand Theft Auto video game series
- Carl Grimes, a notoriously elusive character from the comic/TV series The Walking Dead
- Carl Denham, a character from the 1933 film King Kong and its 2005 remake
- Carl Hamilton, a Swedish secret agent of novels by Jan Guillou.
- Carl Wheezer, a character from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Carl Winslow, a character from the TV series Family Matters
- Carl Bentley, a character from the 1995 film Jumanji
- Carl Elias, a recurring antagonist from The Science fiction drama Persons of interest.
- Carl Clover, a playable character in the Blazblue fighting game series.
The are several derivations of the surname Carl, most of them originating as "son of Carl":
Many of these are in reference to Charlemagne. Carolina is named for Charles II of England.