Carl Allen (drummer)
It was with Green that Allen met bassist Christian McBride. The two have teamed up frequently, working for many combos of big name leaders. McBride recruited Allen for his band, Christian McBride & Inside Straight. Allen is that quintet's drummer for both its first recording Kinda' Brown and its road tours.
He joined the faculty of The Juilliard School in 2001, and became the Artistic Director of Jazz Studies in 2008. He was replaced as director by Wynton Marsalis in 2013, and left Juilliard at the end of the academic year.
in 2014, he formed his own group, The Art of Elvin to pay tribute to Art Blakey and Elvin Jones. The band debuted at the Percussive Arts Society (PAS) conference in Indianapolis, with Allen on drums, Freddie Hendrix (trumpet), Tivon Pennicott (tenor sax), Xavier Davis (piano), Yasushi Nakamura (bass).
- The Pursuer (Atlantic Records, 1994)
- Testimonial (Atlantic Records, 1995)
- Live From The Detroit Jazz Festival -2013 (Mack Avenue, 2014)
co-led with Rodney Whitaker
- Get Ready (Mack Avenue, 2007)
- Work to Do (Mack Avenue, 2009)
with Manhattan Project
- Dreamboat (Alfa Jazz Records / Timeless Records, 2000)
- Piccadilly Square (Alfa Jazz Records / Timeless Records)
- The Dark Side of Dewey (Alfa Jazz Records / Evidence Records, 1996)
- Echoes of Our Heros (Alfa Jazz Japan, 1996)
- We Remember Cannonball (Alfa Jazz Japan, 1997)
With Arkadia Jazz All Stars
- Thank You, Joe!
With Don Braden
- After Dark (Criss Cross Jazz, 1994)
- The Time Is Now (Criss Cross, 1994)
- Wish List (Criss Cross, 1994)
With Cyrus Chestnut
- The Nutman Speaks (Alfa Jazz Records)
- The Nutman Speaks Again (Alfa Jazz Records, 2003)
- Another Direction (Alfa Jazz Records)
With Art Farmer
- The Company I Keep (Arabesque, 2009)
- The Meaning of Art (Arabesque, 2009)
With the Benny Green Trio
- Blue Notes (Toshiba-EMI Japan)
- That’s Right (Blue Note)
- Testifying (Blue Note)
With Freddie Hubbard
- Life Flight (Blue Note)
- Topsy (Alfa Jazz Records)
- MMTC (MusicMasters Records)
With Jackie McLean
- Dynasty (Triloka Records)
- Rites of Passage (Triloka Records)
- The J-Mac Attack (Birdology / Verve Records)
With Dewey Redman
- African Venus (Evidence, 1992)
With Woody Shaw
- Imagination (Muse, 1987)
With Phil Woods
With Eliane Elias
- Everything I Love (Blue Note and EMI, 2000)
- Yanow, Scott. "Carl Allen: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Yanow, Scott. "Pursuer: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Dryden, Ken. "Alto Summit: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Music Division - Jazz Studies: Carl Allen". Juilliard School. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Wynton Marsalis to Lead Jazz Studies at Juilliard - New York Times, 10.28.2013
- Tremé - IMDB.com
- Biography - CarlAllen.com
|This article on an American jazz drummer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|