Austin-Behan as Lord Mayor (2016)
|Lord Mayor of Manchester|
13 May 2016 – 17 May 2017
|Preceded by||Paul Murphy|
|Succeeded by||Eddy Newman|
1973 (age 44–45)
Simon Behan (m. 2015)
Carl Austin-Behan (born 1973 ) is a British former politician and community activist who currently serves as LGBT advisor to the Mayor of Greater Manchester. He served as Lord Mayor of Manchester from May 2016 to May 2017, being its first openly gay Lord Mayor. He was labour councillor for Burnage from 2011 to 2018.
He was elected to Manchester City Council as Labour Member for Burnage ward in May 2011. In 2016 he was made Lord Mayor of Manchester, and his term ended in May 2017. He was Manchester's first openly gay Lord Mayor and one of its youngest at 44. In November 2017 Labour deselected him as the Labour candidate for the local elections in May 2018. He said that he was "hurt, upset and gutted" to have been deselected in favour of Momentum candidate Ben Clay.
In August 2018, he was appointed LGBT advisor to Greater Manchester mayor, Andy Burnham.
- RAF Safety Centre "Good Show" Award, Royal Air Force
- Bronze Medal from the Royal Humane Society, for rescuing a pilot from a burning Hawk aircraft
- 1996: Mention in the Queen’s Birthday Honours, with a Commander in Chief’s Commendation
- 2001: Winner, Mr Gay UK
- List of Mayors and Lord Mayors of Manchester
- List of lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender firsts by year
- List of the first LGBT holders of political offices in the United Kingdom
- Timeline of LGBT history
- Timeline of LGBT history in the United Kingdom
- "Past Winners". Mr Gay UK. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "The Lord Mayor's Office: The Lord Mayor of Manchester: Councillor Carl Austin-Behan". Manchester City Council. Archived from the original on 24 October 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Williams, Jennifer (16 May 2016). "Manchester to swear in its first ever openly gay Lord Mayor". Manchester Evening News. Manchester. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Halliday, Josh (24 October 2016). "Manchester lord mayor 'subjected to homophobic abuse at Justin Bieber gig'". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Williams, Jennifer (19 May 2016). "Manchester's first ever openly gay Lord Mayor sworn in - with an Abba quote". Manchester Evening News. Manchester. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Street-Porter, Janet (20 May 2016). "Manchester is a city that deserves a better mayor than Andy Burnham". The Independent. London. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Williams, Jennifer (16 May 2017). "Interesting, amazing and knackering! Carl Austin-Behan on his year as Lord Mayor of Manchester". Manchester Evening News. Manchester. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- Peraudin, Frances (17 May 2016). "Manchester to swear in first openly gay lord mayor". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Williams, Jennifer (2 November 2017). "Manchester's first openly gay mayor blocked from standing for election as Momentum gain ground". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Nagesh, Ashitha (18 May 2016). "Former Mr Gay UK kicked out of RAF for his sexuality sworn in as Lord Mayor". Metro. Retrieved 22 February 2018.